Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Though it was only released yesterday morning, iOS 7.1 has already been installed on 5.9 percent of iOS devices in North America, according to a new report from analytics firm Chitika. To get its numbers, Chitika measured ad impressions from tens of millions of iOS-based devices in the U.S. and Canada from March 9 to March 11, 2014.

The adoption rates are similar to those of iOS 7.0.6, which offered a critical security fix and was installed on 13.3 percent of iOS devices 48 hours after release and 25 percent of devices after four days.

chitikaios71adoption.jpg
As with most minor version updates, iOS 7.1 adoption rates have been less dramatic than those of its major-version counterparts. In the 24 hours following the operating system's public release, iOS 7.1 users generated 5.9% of total North American iOS Web traffic.
iOS 7.1 offers CarPlay support, Touch ID improvements, bug fixes, and several visual tweaks for iOS, including revamped shift and caps locks keys for the keyboard, refined icons for the Phone, FaceTime, and Messages apps, and a redesign for several aspects of the Phone dialer and shutdown screen.

Beyond iOS 7.1, iOS 7 users generated more than 80 percent of all iOS web traffic over the three days Chitika measured, a number that has remained steady since the company's previous February 26 study.

Chitika's overall iOS 7 usage numbers in North America are in line with reports from Apple's App Store support page for developers, which indicates 83 percent of all iOS devices have iOS 7 installed as of March 9, 2014.

Article Link: iOS 7.1 Adoption at 6% 24 Hours After Release

JerryCards

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Richmond, VA
I did it last night on all my devices! :)

One iPhone 5s, two iPhone 5, and Four iPad (One air, two third, One 2), iPad 2 has noticiable improvement on speed and iPhone 5s fingerprint perform better. Other changes seems pretty trivial.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
It isn't a "minor update" at all. 7.1 actually makes my iPad 3 usable again! 7.0.x was sooooo sloooowwwwww.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I bought a 4s last week because my iPhone 4 was just sooooo slow. Still haven't received the 4s yet, but after this update I feel I don't need the 4s. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone with a 4 as you can get some more life out of it :)

pixelpro

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Why does a 214 MB update require 1.9 GB of free space? Its so frustrating!
I can't update because of it.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
I'm really pleased with this update.
- keyboard is nicer.
- iPhone works better; no crashes or anything.
- change to phone app are aesthetically pleasing, nothing more than that.
- really like the changes to the camera app; auto HDR is awesome.

Probably more stuff, but that's what I've noticed so far

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I find it odd that they don't make it more obvious to non "Apple-obsessive-macrumors-readers". It seems like it takes quite a few days for the badge to come up on the settings app. My parents have no idea what it means and don't update until I do it for them.

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
I did the update - didn't see a reason not to. I do like that animations go by faster - whether it's a placebo or if there's something to the stopwatch-testing at Ars Technica I don't know, but it really does feel like my phone is faster. It's certainly faster to get into an app from a locked state since the unlock animation is faster and I can tap icons that much sooner.

What's amusing to me are the down-pointing spikes on the graph. I have to assume that's people who just activated new iOS devices on iOS7 or earlier?

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
6% adoption in just 24 hours is justin credible. Nobody else can deliver these numbers. Only the Apple ecosystem has this capability. Celebration time, again!

Kleber20

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2013
I will stay in the remaining 94%, the phone app is awfully ugly :(. What for they made a bigger iPhone if it shows such a small picture when somebody is calling you? What for to put a picture then? I wonder if there will be any tweak after for it.

Shookster

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Why is the chart designed to make 5.9% look like a huge number? It's a small number and a 0-100% scale would show that.

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Why is the chart designed to make 5.9% look like a huge number? It's a small number and a 0-100% scale would show that.

6% in 24 hours is a huge number in the contest of mobile OS upgrades. Hell other popular platforms (that pretend to be open) would be happy to see 6% upgrading in 24 months.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Is the first half of that chart really necessary?

Anti-Apple Headline Service says:

"Rushed iOS Update Another Apple Bomb: a Full Day Before Release, Customers Staying Away in Droves"

5.9% of a couple million or more ios 7 adopters is pretty good for an update with no prior notice.

A 100% scale would distort how massively well these updates get out to users, compared to other platforms. (Which would have made an interesting comparison graph: how quickly did the Android user base reach 6% on the latest version?) 100% wouldn't show anything useful--it would be like showing murder rates--.1% vs. .5% would matter matter, while comparing to a hypothetical 100% of people being murdered would flatten the difference into a meaningless line.

That said, they really only needed a number--not a picture--for this story.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
5.9% of a couple million or more ios 7 adopters is pretty good for an update with no prior notice.

Apple sold 77 million ipads and 150 million iPhones in 2013. Even if we assume 80% of these are running ios7 and of them 6% upgraded thats 10 million..Add to that all the iPhone 5, ipads, iphone 4s's and 4's that sold before 2013 and we may likely have over 20 million people that have downloaded this update by now (if not more).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.