Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
As I use Pages and they only want us to use Word which most of us have but not me, I spoke to the professors and that ban has been lifted to become "Use Microsoft Word or a word processing program of your choice that exports Word documents." however, Times New Roman is still a required font.

What makes universities and colleges (and apparently some high schools) require use of that font? Mac and Windows have it but what about those Linux users out there? They don't have that font, apparently, and using alternatives won't play nice with professors and teachers (read from another forum).

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
What about standardization don't you seem to get? For whatever reason, Times New Roman has been the default on word processors for a while, and that's likely the reason behind it being required.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
If you google linux times new roman you'll have an answer. Yes, the Linux people can have TNR.

Where are you going to college, anyway?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What is the problem with using Times New Roman? It is clear, legible, and a relatively attractive industry default.

Seriously, if this is what your Professor requires, this is what has been decided is the standard everyone else has conformed to.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What makes universities and colleges (and apparently some high schools) require use of that font?
Standardization, otherwise people will be using all sorts of arcane and hard to read fonts. Keep everything the same and so the professors can then focus on the content

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Another thread on this same topic?. Why do you feel the need to question something that's been the standard for likely decades? Do you also question why the sky is blue when you wake up in the morning? Your last thread received several good reasons on why Times New Roman is the standard in academic assignments.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
my professor says that after she has been grading paper after paper it is nice to have the same exact setup, instead of having to adjust from paper to paper.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I would hate to have a paper marked down because pages (or another app) messed up the formatting during the export.

It sucks, but I would bite the bullet and just use word for Mac, at least for school stuff.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I would hate to have a paper marked down because pages (or another app) messed up the formatting during the export.

If a student doesn't have Office on their computer, it would take them 10 minutes to pop into a computer lab on campus, open up the exported doc in Word, and make sure the formatting is correct, and fix it if need be, before submitting it.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
What is the problem with using Times New Roman? It is clear, legible, and a relatively attractive industry default.

Seriously, if this is what your Professor requires, this is what has been decided is the standard everyone else has conformed to.

true, but i do wish ariel/tahoma/halvetica were allowed too. they are more pleasant to the eye - especially on long texts.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
If a student doesn't have Office on their computer, it would take them 10 minutes to pop into a computer lab on campus, open up the exported doc in Word, and make sure the formatting is correct, and fix it if need be, before submitting it.

When I was in undergrad, I could go to the computer store on campus and get the previous version of word for Mac for $10. I think at some point it went down to $5.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
true, but i do wish ariel/tahoma/halvetica were allowed too. they are more pleasant to the eye - especially on long texts.

I prefer sans-serif fonts too - TBH, the font Scepticalscribe uses in his posts annoys the hell out of me so I don't even read them. But since TNR or another serif font has been the default in word processors for a long time (I think Word recently changed that) and nearly every book, newspaper and magazine uses serif fonts, I guess there's been some studies that show it's easier to read.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Actually, personally, I cannot stand Ariel; I think it is too narrow, and physically, it strains my eyes to have to read it and I dislike it intensely.

My personal favourites are Garamond (which is exceptionally easy to read, especially in a hard copy, although it translates less well to a screen), Arno Pro, and Times New Roman.

I prefer sans-serif fonts too - TBH, the font Scepticalscribe uses in his posts annoys the hell out of me so I don't even read them. But since TNR or another serif font has been the default in word processors for a long time (I think Word recently changed that) and nearly every book, newspaper and magazine uses serif fonts, I guess there's been some studies that show it's easier to read.

Well, each to their own.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
When I was in undergrad, I could go to the computer store on campus and get the previous version of word for Mac for $10. I think at some point it went down to $5.

When I was an undergrad, I'd hire a scribe to chisel the stone tablets for me. It was just a couple of drachmas per tablet.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When I was an undergrad, I'd hire a scribe to chisel the stone tablets for me. It was just a couple of drachmas per tablet.

What sort of stone did you use in your tablets? I am interested purely as a matter of idle (but fascinating) information gathering, of course.

Hard work, but immensely satisfying, for the scribe………(an alternative career beckons, should I ever tire of my current occupation….)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm not a fan of TNR, but if I were in class and the professor required it for my papers, I'd follow the instructions and use it. Otherwise, it bothers my eyes to try reading it.

The default fonts in MS Outlook, Calibri, are nice along with whatever font MacRumors uses and the default font used in Mail.app on OS X are all preferred fonts for me.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

This - or more likely rates of $20-75 instead of $100+ for a license - vary by school and aren't standard college to college. My university offered no discount.

OP, get over it. A standard is a standard for a reason. Use it or face potential point deductions.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
This - or more likely rates of $20-75 instead of $100+ for a license - vary by school and aren't standard college to college. My university offered no discount.

OP, get over it. A standard is a standard for a reason. Use it or face potential point deductions.

Yes, I understand that. Other universities I've been at have varied, but I felt I'd mention it to the OP in hopes they might at least check.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
From personal experience the eye gets adjusted to particular fonts better, especially when programming your eyes sort of mould to the indentation style, etc.

So when reading material it would pickup easier if everything was similar, rather than adjusting to it.

Plus it prevents unfair marking due to bias font choice / readability (if that makes sense).

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
Standardization, otherwise people will be using all sorts of arcane and hard to read fonts. Keep everything the same and so the professors can then focus on the content

As a former college instructor, I remember the days in the 1990s when wide choice of fonts became available, and some of what the students turned in was of "ransom note" quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.