Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
Hi all

Apologies ahead of time for re-hashing this already dead topic.

I finally got the logicboard in my G4 iBook replaced. Because I have already bought a new powerbook I intended to sell the iBook. After using it a handful of times I posted it for sale and left it (turned off) for a week. Now I have tried to boot it and it failed. The symptoms are exactly the same as they were before I had the logiboard replaced.

This really pisses me off because I did pay for the labour to get it fixed and it was when I was trying to demo it for a buyer that it stopped working.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the logicboard replaced only to have it blow out right away? Could the power unit be shorting it out or something?

Also, apple agreed to pay for the part - but not the labour - what is the chance they will help me out again if it is a different problem?

Thanks!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
buttercup said:
Hi all

Apologies ahead of time for re-hashing this already dead topic.

I finally got the logicboard in my G4 iBook replaced. Because I have already bought a new powerbook I intended to sell the iBook. After using it a handful of times I posted it for sale and left it (turned off) for a week. Now I have tried to boot it and it failed. The symptoms are exactly the same as they were before I had the logiboard replaced.

This really pisses me off because I did pay for the labour to get it fixed and it was when I was trying to demo it for a buyer that it stopped working.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the logicboard replaced only to have it blow out right away? Could the power unit be shorting it out or something?

Also, apple agreed to pay for the part - but not the labour - what is the chance they will help me out again if it is a different problem?

Thanks!

Dude, it is still under Apple warranty for 90 days when they replace a logic board. Send it back and ask for a brand new one and then check the specs on it when you get it back == make sure the serial number is different etc., and ask them how to ascertain that it is a new board. Be nice and be honest and ask them truthful questions as you are within your rights and they owe you a new board. What model ibook btw, sounds like an old 800mhz but I'd be curious if it is a 1.07 or 1.2 or 1.33 or a new 14" 1.42ghz but I doubt that.

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
California said:
Dude, it is still under Apple warranty for 90 days when they replace a logic board. Send it back and ask for a brand new one and then check the specs on it when you get it back == make sure the serial number is different etc., and ask them how to ascertain that it is a new board. Be nice and be honest and ask them truthful questions as you are within your rights and they owe you a new board. What model ibook btw, sounds like an old 800mhz but I'd be curious if it is a 1.07 or 1.2 or 1.33 or a new 14" 1.42ghz but I doubt that.

It is totally an 800mHz. Since I am in Canada I didn't send it in, but took it to a service provider - so I guess it is possible that they didn't actually replace the board. That sucks. But is a very good point. Still though, previous to the fix it wouldn't boot. Period. And afterwards it worked consistently for a week or so.

It sucks though, cause the labour to get it fixed isn't garaunteeed - so I am wondering if I will need to pay for the labour again. (The unit itself doesn't have a warranty on it.)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
buttercup said:
It is totally an 800mHz. Since I am in Canada I didn't send it in, but took it to a service provider - so I guess it is possible that they didn't actually replace the board. That sucks. But is a very good point. Still though, previous to the fix it wouldn't boot. Period. And afterwards it worked consistently for a week or so.

It sucks though, cause the labour to get it fixed isn't garaunteeed - so I am wondering if I will need to pay for the labour again. (The unit itself doesn't have a warranty on it.)

what did they actually do to it to have you pay labour? maybe you should ask them to give you a detailed description of what you paid for. In any case, it is still under warranty even if your iBook is not. call them immediately.

dunnaldur

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2006
Ask Apple if they cover labour in CA. I suspect you are entitled to a refund. Talk to customer services. In europe, labour is covered under repair extension programs.
In any case you have a 90 day warranty on the repair.
note: if you pay a service provider a 'extra fee' to get a quicker turnaround this would not be covered by Apple.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
They will replace the logic board again, at no extra charge. Since its within 90 days of the last repair its covered under the repair warranty.

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
I took it in. They said that apple "should" cover the cost but they woulndt be sure untill they called - and they were too busy. :(

But if it keeps dying maybe they will give me a new one....

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
buttercup said:
I took it in. They said that apple "should" cover the cost but they woulndt be sure untill they called - and they were too busy. :(

But if it keeps dying maybe they will give me a new one....

It will be covered, Trust me. But the odds of you getting a new one are close to 0.

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
Yeah, apparently they will cover it. The guy said that 3 repairs *might* give me a new one even if it isn't under warranty anymore. But not to hold my breath.

That would shock me. Shock and delight, but shock none the less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.