Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjbski

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
Why is it that financial services institutions haven't embraced iOS 7 design in their apps?

Chase...Bank of America...Ally...Capital One...Fidelity...etc. They all have the "old" look and old keyboard?

Is there a reason/insight?

Thanks,
CJB.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The app still offers the features they want to offer and still works the way they want it to work, so there's no reason to really update it just for a new look until they feel like they want to (and probably combine it with some sort of a larger redesign and/or new features).

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I think Fidelity may have. There is one unrecognizable ugly white app on my iPad. If I tap it there is the Fidelity stuff. I use the one for iPad. I think the ugly white one is the iPhone app.

Nothing on the app would associate it with Fidelity. I taped it to find out what it was.

phenoplastic

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
Because, at least in the UK, banks are unwieldy, slow, un-customer focussed entities totally behind the times.

Interface design is the least of my worries, HSBC's fast balance app (which was never updated for iPhone 5 screens) now doesn't work at all.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Maybe they were waiting for Apple to fix the issues with iOS 7 and now that 7.1 is out we'll start seeing some long needed updates.
Yea, no...

----------

Why is it that financial services institutions haven't embraced iOS 7 design in their apps?

Chase...Bank of America...Ally...Capital One...Fidelity...etc. They all have the "old" look and old keyboard?

Thanks,
CJB.

There is a deadline where they have to compile in xCode 5 so they'll have to (thanks Apple!)

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania

Thanks,
CJB.

I have PNC Bank and it does have the old look, but hey it works and does what I need it to do. :) Besides, all you need from a bank application is for it to work and be secure.

cjbski

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
How do we know OP ? Call the banks instead of here for answers no one can give you.

Thanks for a friendly reply!

It's more of an overall industry question. Calling banks to ask this would get me nowhere. Anyone who develops these apps at each company is not reachable by a customer.

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Because unlike other apps, most people aren't going to stop using their bank's service and start using another bank's service because their app doesn't look good. Unlike what one might do if the note app they used wasn't redesigned for iOS 7.

chrispfeiffer21

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
London, United Kingdom
Because, at least in the UK, banks are unwieldy, slow, un-customer focussed entities totally behind the times.

Interface design is the least of my worries, HSBC's fast balance app (which was never updated for iPhone 5 screens) now doesn't work at all.

I completely agree with this, however having just moved to Barclays, their mobile app isn't that bad, and is updated fairly regularly. :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Most likely mainly because iOS 7 design isn't necessary or even really needed for them to function properly and provide the service they are designed to provide.

njsapple2012

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
The NatWest app in the UK still has the old style keyboard, too.

I'm not sure how designing an app works for the different iOS systems out there but surely the ability must be there to configure the change in keyboards for each release?

So any 7.0 phones onwards get the flatter one and anyone less than 7.0 gets the older version?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
As long as the app does what I need it to, I don't care how it looks.

Waiting for HSBC to release an update to fix the Fast Balance app though :(

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'm sure among other things banks and other companies have looks that are part of their image etc. and because Apple changes its screen doesn't mean they want to change their looks.

I'd rather they spend time on functions and security and not changing ICON looks.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i LOVE the Chase app, i just wish they would update it for the iOS 7 keyboard. That is my only complaint.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Banks are always behind when it comes to adoption rates for software. A client of my employer still requires the application we develop for them to support IE6.

another client we have (another bank) that we have to use to pull down reports for another client, which I have to use IE to download them, states that the browser is unsupported, and to 'upgrade' a minimum of Internet Explorer 5, or Netscape 6...

I'm using IE11. I have to use the compatibility option to pull down the data.

So they are the last to upgrade, and the last to get rid of any older version of software.

BL.

timothybrabant

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013
I bet banks have much higher security standards then most other developers, therefore maybe the process of updating an app takes more time for them. Probably a lot more security testing.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
PNC bank updates their app pretty frequently but seems to have kept the old keyboard, which seems to be the same case for other bank apps. I wonder why, seems like they intentionally leave the old keyboard. The PNC app has long been updated for iOS 7.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Thanks,
CJB.
Put down the pipe...!

Capital One and Fidelity ARE updated.

Cant speak of the others... But considering ... How SURE are you really...? the others aren't updated... v.v suspicious

be7uvene.jpg

busesaje.jpg

----------

There is a deadline where they have to compile in xCode 5 so they'll have to (thanks Apple!)

There is a deadline for updates to apps...
Not the actual apps themselves if they go untouched.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
As long as the app does what I need it to, I don't care how it looks.

Waiting for HSBC to release an update to fix the Fast Balance app though :(

Agreed. The only apps which used to annoy me were those that still weren't optimised for the tallboy iPhone 5 screen, but to the best of my knowledge they all are now. Keyboards and poor graphics etc don't bother me at all, so long as the app is functional.

cjbski

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
Bank of America and Capital One just both confirmed to me via Twitter that both have app updates in progress.

BoA sounds like they are closer to being done in an all-iOS 7 feel.

Capital One says they are doing it but no ETA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.