Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatsonYafeets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
So I bought a 06 iMac with 10.4 mavrick on it ..called apple they told me buy lepord ..I bought lepord and installed it no prob when I went to update to 10.5.8 it told me there's no room on my hard drive or external hard drive (wich is empty) so I called back apple and the guy told me to delete my hard drive because I don't need anything on it ..but when I wen to go do that after I run disk utality it told me I "need to delete the volume " or "there's not enough volume ..I consider my self a pretty tech savy guy but this has got me stumped any thoughts I'm trying to run another erase at 7 sec but I'm sure it gonna say the same thing again

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
So I bought a 06 iMac with 10.4 mavrick

What is 10.4 "mavrick"?

Are you trying to install Leopard or Snow Leopard? This machine will actually run Snow Leopard.

Anyway, if there is nothing on the hard drive that needs saving or backing up (doesn't sound like there is). Pop the DVD in the drive and restart the machine. When the screen goes black, hold the C-key until the Apple Logo appears and do not let it go until then. Once it does, it will bring you to the Mac OS X Installer.

When there, select your language (I'm guessing its English). After doing so, go into the menu bar and click on Utilities>Disk Utility. It will pull up a Disk Utility window. On the left, you should see a few drives, the top one should be your hard drive. It should show 2 things, the name of the actual drive, for instance 80GB Maxtor etc, etc and below that the partition on the drive. Click on the top piece (in my example, the "80GB Maxtor") and click on Partition.

Note: going further will erase your hard drive. Be sure all your important data is backed up.

Under the partition tab, select the drop down menu Partition Layout and select 1 Partition. (If you want more then one partition, set it up now). Name the drive, and under Format, make sure it is selected as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Also, near the bottom, click on Options. Make sure "GUID Partition Table" is selected. Then click "Apply".

Let Disk Utility finish formatting. Once its done, quit it and you will be brought back to the installer. Follow the installer's instructions.

Also, make sure the hard drive is big enough. It needs to be decently sized, at least 20GB for Leopard.

BeatsonYafeets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
I'm erasing the hard drive now but have been since last night how long does this process take??

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm erasing the hard drive now but have been since last night how long does this process take??
If you have a LOT of data and you've chosen one of the Erase Secuely options where it makes a gazillion passes to make sure no one can recover the data, then it takes a FRIGGIN' long time.

If you've simply chosen to erase the hard drive without trying to securely wipe the data it should only take a few minutes.

BeatsonYafeets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
Sorry not mavrick I went from 10.4.11 tiger to 10.5.1 lepord //my hard drive and external have more than enough space but still won't let me up date I'm still trying to erase my hard drive (says 18 hours to go) using disk utality idk wut else to do ..

Is partitioning same as erasing? And why does it take so long???

----------

If you have a LOT of data and you've chosen one of the Erase Secuely options where it makes a gazillion passes to make sure no one can recover the data, then it takes a FRIGGIN' long time.

If you've simply chosen to erase the hard drive without trying to securely wipe the data it should only take a few minutes.

Yes I went for 7 passes and it shouldn't have a lot of stuff Bacuse the zero pass was done in 2 min and I deleted everything prior with the app cleaner and got rid of alotta stuff

If this don't work I'm probally gonna go get ram added and take it to a Apple repair Store

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes I went for 7 passes

This can take days. You should be able to cancel it. I'd do that, and at most write zeroes to the drive, but really, there's no reason to do that on a disk you're going to keep and continue to use.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If this don't work I'm probally gonna go get ram added and take it to a Apple repair Store
If you mean an actual Apple store then all they will do for you is say hello, take a quick look at your Mac and then possibly give you a business card for a local, private repair shop. They won't touch your Mac or do anything to it. Apple does not work on anything older than three years.

If you mean an actual private shop that happens to work on Macs then the above is not relevant.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If you mean an actual Apple store then all they will do for you is say hello, take a quick look at your Mac and then possibly give you a business card for a local, private repair shop. They won't touch your Mac or do anything to it. Apple does not work on anything older than three years.

If you mean an actual private shop that happens to work on Macs then the above is not relevant.

Apple Stores will work on any Apple product in the "Supported" part of their life cycle. Products stay in the Support state for 5 years since removal from public sale. After that, they are considered "Vintage" and can only be serviced by an Apple Store in the state of California if the device was bought in California. They stay in the Vintage status for an additional 2 years after no longer being supported. After that, they are considered "Obsolete" and will not be serviced by Apple.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple Stores will work on any Apple product in the "Supported" part of their life cycle. Products stay in the Support state for 5 years since removal from public sale. After that, they are considered "Vintage" and can only be serviced by an Apple Store in the state of California if the device was bought in California. They stay in the Vintage status for an additional 2 years after no longer being supported. After that, they are considered "Obsolete" and will not be serviced by Apple.
Thanks for the clarification. The Apple "Genius" who told me this was clearly mistaken then.

BeatsonYafeets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
Thanks for all the help folks 10.5.8 installed after erasing the hard drive a 2nd time so happy I'm a engineer for music so any one needs help feel free to hit me pro tools abelton cue base fl studio also a rapper by the name of blitzy cobain feel free to check my stuff out and like wise have a good one folks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.