Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
My 2010 Hexacore appears to have trouble sleeping ever since the upgrade to 10.9.2

Rather it sleeps but it doesn't awake when I hit the keyboard or anything.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
YES!!!

My 2009 8-core will go to sleep, then immediately the PCIE fan goes nuts for ~2 seconds and then it wakes up.

I looked to see what processes were keeping it awake and it was either the audio driver for my USB speakers or it was an Address Book Sync process.

I tried killing those PIDS, but they immediately restarted.

I"m still looking for a fix.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Mine was sleeping fine.. but last night it kept waking up. I quit a bunch of apps, but it's still doing it. I suspect it's the Bluetooth headset that I just got, and synched last night. Need to test a bit more.

Reno Richter

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Me? I was so disappointed when I read the thread.

Same here. I was expecting some sort of solution to a software glitch was forth coming based on how you slept with 10.9.2! :eek:

Serious:
Arrive home from 16 day long overseas business trip late Saturday to see my nMP for the first time after it arrived while I was gone. Paying close attention to the various issues people are reporting. Have created a boat load of notes on possible solutions to various issues people are experiencing with their nMP's and Mavericks. My very tired 2.1 is still on 10.6.8.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Well I came up with a solution.... Well a work around.

I ran `pmset -g assertions` and saw that it was the 'AddressBokSour' process that was keeping my machine from sleeping.

I killed the process, but it immediate came back. It must be scheduled or something.

Finally, I just renamed the application so that it couldn't be launched.

I ran these two commands:
sudo mv /System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBook.framework/Versions/A/Helpers/AddressBookSourceSync.app /System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBook.framework/Versions/A/Helpers/AddressBookSourceSync.app.BKP

sudo mv /System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBook.framework/Versions/A/Helpers/AddressBookSourceSyncScheduleHelper /System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBook.framework/Versions/A/Helpers/AddressBookSourceSyncScheduleHelper.BKP

Now my machine sleeps.

I'm not happy with that solution, but I'm happy my machine sleeps.

YMMV

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
When I choose the command "sleep" in the Finder it takes between fifteen and twenty seconds before my Mac Pro goes to sleep. Luckily, the crashes that occured in 10.9 and 10.9.1 are gone.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
No problems - cos sleep is disabled on my Mac Pro. Gets rid of this pita OSX problem post snow leopard cos in this era with SSD and PCIe storage they don't take long to fire back up.

Rest assured it's a similar pita in windows, with bluetooth devices especially!

Tutor

macrumors 65816
My 2010 Hexacore appears to have trouble sleeping ever since the upgrade to 10.9.2

Rather it sleeps but it doesn't awake when I hit the keyboard or anything.

My three MacPro2,1s have been upgrade to run 10.9.2 (thanks to Tiamo) and they sleep and awake when they're supposed to, i.e., they have no problem sleeping with 10.9.2. However, unlike them I must be having problems sleeping with 10.9.2 because where I am it's 1:15:00 AM and I'm typing a reply on one of them.

Last edited:

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
im so not going to miss when the oMP fans rev in the middle of the night because its waking up from sleep for no damn reason. Talk about losing sleep im the one who lost some sleep.

with the new mac pro im not going to care if it wakes up because im not going to be able to here it.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
im so not going to miss when the oMP fans rev in the middle of the night because its waking up from sleep for no damn reason. Talk about losing sleep im the one who lost some sleep.

with the new mac pro im not going to care if it wakes up because im not going to be able to here it.

My insomnia is not affected by my ancient machinery - it doesn't awaken spuriously. My insomnia is partly a relic of my growing up, partly, in SoCal (LA High Roman here; circa - the reign of Dr. Norman Schachter - principal [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Schachter ]), a habit that was feed by college in NYC and grad school at UCD in NorCal and in part by the addictiveness of OSX 10.9.2.

Last edited:

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
My insomnia is not affected by my ancient machinery - it doesn't awaken spuriously. My insomnia is partly a relic of my growing up, partly, in SoCal (LA High Roman here) and in part by the addictiveness of OSX 10.9.2.

Inglewood High sentinel here.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Inglewood High sentinel here.

Hello - glad to met you. Back in the day - the late 60's and early 70's - Inglewood [(particularly Sylvanus W.) as well as Washington, Manual Arts, Crenshaw High and Dorsey High (particularly Eric A. with the comical sibling]) also had some formidable track and field contenders who helped me on weekends to also feed my insomnia, in addition to the other sources which I later (after my initial post) recalled (maybe it's only my short-term memory loss and not long term dementia) and added to my growing list; but you still haven't convinced me that my old iron is the cause of my insomnia. If I were to buy new iron, i.e., a nMP, it wouldn't be as a replacement, but rather only as an addition. So if old iron is a cause of my insomnia, my old iron wouldn't be eliminated as the source. Also, that nMP might then only add to it because it too runs 10.9.2.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.