Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
My dad has an iPhone but he doesn't use or own a computer. Is there a way he can download and manage his music through the iPhone only without having to resort to using iTunes on a computer?

horcrux34

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2014
Me

Me actually. I have 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and an Apple TV 3. I did have an older iMac, but once it died, I decided to see how much I needed that and go without, to see how it worked out. And it turns out I really didn't need a full computer at home. I never sit and use the computer at a desk at home. Pretty much everything I want to do I can do with either an iPad or iPhone, especially now that iTunes purchases are in the cloud, so I don't need hard drives sitting around connected to a computer just to serve iTunes anymore. So we'll see how it goes, but it's been over a year.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If he doesn't have a computer then where is his music? The iPhone doesn't have a CD drive :p

Well, how clever you are. The music is on a CD. The iPhone doesn't have a CD drive, as you noticed. And as the OP probably noticed as well. That's why the question was posted.

----------

Even more curios, is who would own an iPhone and not a computer.

How many iPhones have been sold?
How many Macs have been sold?

Calculate the difference.
That many people have an iPhone, but not a Mac.

----------

He can purchase and download music directly from the iTunes app. It will put the music on his phone.

Yeah, he will be very pleased paying again for music that he already owns.

Lugnutz

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2012
How many Macs have been sold?

That many people have an iPhone, but not a Mac.

Someone else should start making computers beside Apple. It's insanity that the only computers available are Macs.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
My dad has an iPhone but he doesn't use or own a computer. Is there a way he can download and manage his music through the iPhone only without having to resort to using iTunes on a computer?

Getting your dad's CDs onto his iPhone: I haven't found a way not involving a computer. If you have space on your computer, this article describes how to setup a second iTunes Library on your computer, so you can import your dad's CD, set it up with his Apple ID and sync to his iPhone, without affecting your own music:

http://www.imore.com/how-use-multiple-apple-ids-one-computer-and-itunes

----------

Someone else should start making computers beside Apple. It's insanity that the only computers available are Macs.

What's the name of this website again?

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Me actually. I have 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and an Apple TV 3. I did have an older iMac, but once it died, I decided to see how much I needed that and go without, to see how it worked out. And it turns out I really didn't need a full computer at home. I never sit and use the computer at a desk at home. Pretty much everything I want to do I can do with either an iPad or iPhone, especially now that iTunes purchases are in the cloud, so I don't need hard drives sitting around connected to a computer just to serve iTunes anymore. So we'll see how it goes, but it's been over a year.

That's interesting. What do you do for a living, if you don't mind my asking? You've never run into ANY issues?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Lmao:)
I heard there's some computers with windows in them:D

What's the name of this website again?

So what does that mean?
There's no other computers out there besides macs?
How many computers have been sold?

That many people have a computer, but not an iphone.;)

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
For those of you who are proud to not own a computer, don't come crying back, my phone is messed up and all my media, contacts, calendar is gone!

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I manage my parents iPhones. I set them up on a separate user login into my Mac. There I can add music to the iPhone. Shoot this is the only thing that's not in the cloud. If it their personal cds I will add them to my Mac - upload to iPhone. Once I'm done move the music to a flash drive incase the music gets erased.

Other option is use those cloud player. Amazon or iTunes. Some of the cds on Amazon have the autorip feature so that you can put in the Amazon Music app and receive a copy of the cd.

Or just purchase from iTunes.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
If u can afford an iPhone with data services u can afford a cheap windows PC.

Get a cheap PC. No iPad/android iPhone etc can conpletely replace a PC right now.

Case in point.....getting one's own music onto iPhone and not rely on streaming or spotify. U need a PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.