Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Hi,

I have a mid 2011 iMac 27" with 12gb ram, 3.4Ghz i7 and a 2gb 6970m graphics card.
Will this be ok to play Titanfall?

Thanks

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Sadly i really liked the look of titanfall, but no singleplayer, and more importantly, no offline single player or single player against bots (like quake and unreal tourny used to have) have put me right off actually playing it

as a working, busy, "casual" gamer I get no fun out of playing these games and getting head shot from across the map by an eleven year old who puts in 16hrs a day on these types of games.

But i do enjoy things like Battlefield 3 and 4, The single player i can play at my own pace, not at a pace dictated by the people with the time to put into being far better than me.

Still bought the collectors edition of Titan fall, though, that model was worth the price :D

Orangi

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
ATI Mobility hd 4850 - Not for Titanfall

I have been using a imac11.1 for a few years now and finally I think I need an update.
  • imac 27" Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
  • 8.2 GB RAM
  • 1TB hdd
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850

Using Bootcamp I installed Windows 7 (64bit) and I have been able to play SWTOR, Guild Wars2, Planetside2, LOL, Modern warfare 3, Dayz (Alpha) Borderlands 2, Hawken & CS:GO with no problems at all.

Then recently I decided to grab myself a copy of TitanFall, looked online to check spec which seem more then enough thou I was not 100% sure about the Video Card. seeing that my shaders were higher I figured I was gonna be ok.

Minimum Requirements : 512MB VRAM, Radeon HD 4770 or GeForce 8800GT
You Have: ATI Radeon HD 4850

Pixel Shader version 4.0 (Required) .... 4.1 (I HAVE)
Vertex Shader version 4.0 (Required) ..... 4.1 (I HAVE)
Dedicated Video RAM 512 MB (Required) ....512 MB (I HAVE)

When I began loading the game I was presented with a message.
"Game start up failed because the Video Card does not support the requirements featured"

Not sure what i'm missing spec wise as its DirectX 11.... I updated and reinstalled all the drivers and even Titanfall and still i'm unable to get it to run.... my conclusion is that maybe my ATI Mobility cards was just on the cutoff point for this title which is a shame.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Not sure what i'm missing spec wise as its DirectX 11.... I updated and reinstalled all the drivers and even Titanfall and still i'm unable to get it to run.... my conclusion is that maybe my ATI Mobility cards was just on the cutoff point for this title which is a shame.

It's simply an Artificial limitation they've implemented from what I've gathered.
The Source engine they're using is predominantly DirectX 9c which many many cards support and run well. It seems that during their modifications of the engine for some DX11 features they put in a limit on cards that are supported.

I've heard of many people with Mobile GPU's getting issues.

Although I even got that same bloody error with my desktop GTX 660. Despite having the latest drivers. I ended up downloading and installing the game 3 times and then it suddenly worked.

It's a rather odd issue and the support forums on EA are covered in threads about the issue on all sorts of cards.

When the game did run though it ran EXTREMELY WELL!
The game auto maxed out all the settings, including AA at QSAA x16, which is ridiculously high. I ended up dropping it to 4x MSAA incase I might get slowdowns in heated fights, but I'm getting horrible screen tearing even with VSYNC and extra buffering on.

It just shows that engine is still very much good ole Source, and runs like a champ. So there shouldn't really be any issues with ATI/AMD mobile cards, or any other cards.

Hell even their FAQ for troubleshooting says you will have issues with Intel's IGPs.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
File Size

What file size are you needing for Titanfall in Bootcamp. I've got 47 GB freed up right now in my partition after deleting just about everything I could think of to delete.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Yep, for consoles.

And PC's... :)

tfbeta1.jpg

Plays like a console on my gaming rig since my kids uses a wireless Xbox controller to play the game... but with PC benefits in 3x monitors NVidia Surround.:p

Sorry, still confused.... it is going to be on PS4?

Titanfall was announced at E3 in 2013 for the Xbox and PC, but they did mention at E3 that the next Titanfall (i.e. Titanfall 2) would include the PS4 in the future.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Sorry, still confused.... it is going to be on PS4?

Not any time soon. We don't know the exact back-room deals, but it's obvious Microsoft paid a fat sum of bribe money to EA (Electronic Arts) to only release/develop Titanfall for the Xbone console (and Windows PCs), while excluding the PS4. Did they pay EA to only exclude the PS4 for a limited period of time or forever? We don't know for sure, unless you want to phone the CEO of Microsoft or EA.

Recent news articles state that EA is very "sorry" and regret about the decision to exclude PS4. And the former EA CEO that made the decision, he no longer works for EA. He's already gone from the company.

But when someone officially from EA's Titanfall development team Tweets in recent days that it's still being considered for MacOSX, then we begin to speculate that Microsoft maybe never paid EA to specifically exclude the Mac platform. Micrososft only paid $$$$ to prevent Sony PS4 from getting Titanfall.

Then you come to the obvious conclusion that: Microsoft does not see Mac as a threat to Xbone gaming market. Well duh, of course it's not. On the other hand, Microsoft does see PS4 as a direct threat and a rival to Xbone. Well yes, of course it's a rival and a threat. There you go.

http://www.psu.com/a022778/Titanfall-PS4--EA-sorry-for-lack-of-Sony-console-release

http://www.gamepur.com/news/14008-e...3-infamous-second-son-buzz-social-metric.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.