Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerd47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Hello forum members,
I'm buying a new iPad soon to replace my old iMac(I don't do much more than surf the web now)and I'm going to run my ethernet cable from the Time-Warner Webstar modem to an Airport Extreme. I was running the iMac with ethernet. I have never used Time-Warner for Wi-Fi. Is it difficult to set up this modem to Airport Express? I have looked the forum over and find all kind of experiences.It should be plug and play, right?..I'm anxious to use this iPad and hope things go OK...Anyone have any negative experiences with this wi-fi setup using Time-Warner?
Thanks...nerd

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
The fact that your ISP is Time Warner should have no bearing on setting up a new router. I use an Airport Extreme rather than an Airport Express. However, the basic setup should be the same.

Old routers were plug and play. As a result of security concerns, routers now require setup. The hardware part is easy. Just run an Ethernet cable from your modem to the WAN port of your router. If you have already retired your Mac, then you may use your iPad to setup your Airport Express.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is it difficult to set up this modem to Airport Express?

Very easy. Just connect the ethernet cable from the cable modem to the AE, then unplug your cable modem and plug it back in so it reboots and recognizes the AE. Then use Airport Utility on the iPad to configure a password for the wifi network in the AE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.