Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

carplay_touch-250x250.jpg
While a recent report from a customer service representative indicated that Pioneer was exploring the possibility of bringing support for Apple's new CarPlay iPhone vehicle integration to third-party dashboard systems and Mercedes-Benz acknowledged efforts to bring extend support to its own older vehicles, it appears that full support will take some time to appear given challenges involved in the implementation.

AppleToolbox spoke with both Volvo and Ferrari, two of Apple's launch partners for CarPlay, and both manufacturers acknowledged that extending compatibility to older vehicles would be difficult, with Ferrari ruling out the possibility and instead promoting its alternative phone integration systems.
The new system CarPlay is available only on new range cars and cannot be installed on older ones. However, since we know that infotainment solutions are really important for our customers and also owners of older vehicles deserve the same care as all other customers, we developed an AfterMarket product aimed at offering last generation infotainment, completely compatible with most recent phones.
Volvo does not appear to have ruled out older model support for CarPlay entirely, but acknowledges that it would be difficult for the company to add that support.
We have not announced any plans for an aftermarket solution for Apple CarPlay. While I cannot reveal any potential future products, I can say that there are major roadblocks for this, both from a technical as well as from a usability point-of-view.
And despite Pioneer's statement of interest earlier this week, which the company backed away from in a statement to AppleInsider, other third-party manufacturers are expressing reservations about whether they will even pursue CarPlay support. In an email to MacRumors, a Kenwood representative indicated that the firm would be "looking at" CarPlay but that adoption is not imminent.
I can tell you Apple CarPlay won't be in any of our 2014 product. We will be looking at this operating system along with Google's.

I haven't had any discussions with our engineers regarding Apples willingness or unwillingness to extend into aftermarket.

Currently our [radios] support many of the features found on Apple CarPlay including SIRI control, AV content and even Navigation Apps, so perhaps this interface will have more of an impact with OEM systems that lack that kind of connectivity?
It's clear that there remain a number of unknowns regarding CarPlay, and it seems that Apple has not kept third-party manufacturers abreast of its plans. As a result, it may yet be some time before those manufacturers can have proper discussions with Apple and explore just what it would entail to add CarPlay support to their products.

Article Link: Aftermarket CarPlay Support Faces Technical Hurdles, Uncertain Future

JerryCards

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Richmond, VA
More CarPlay news! It appears that Apple's decision procedure has serious problems. Many things are toooooo slow. Maybe that is the common problem for Huge companies in general...

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Two representatives of major aftermarket brands have shot down the notion that you can expect aftermarket CarPlay systems coming anytime soon that you can install in your old clunker… and definitely not in 2014.

Scott Caswell, Kenwood’s marketing manager, recently confirmed that “Apple CarPlay won’t be in any of our 2014 products,” although many existing devices offer features like A/V playback and Siri support. Furthermore, Caswell suggested it’s possible that CarPlay will never come as an aftermarket solition, since as an OEM option, it’s an atractive way to sell someone a new car.

aswiec

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
Can someone please explain to me what specific "Technical Hurdles" they might have to overcome? Shouldn't it be as easy as installing a new touch screen radio will a cord that you can plug your iPhone into? It doesn't seem that difficult to me.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
It needs an aftermarket solution !, just like "ipod compatible" in almost all aftermarket headset.
Who is to blame for this "technical hurdles" ?

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
You'd think Apple could just let users enable a CarPlay mode on their phones and iPads to get the car interface. Who needs a new head unit!

But that would be toooooo easy and not generate more money :(

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Can someone please explain to me what specific "Technical Hurdles" they might have to overcome?

I think it's because Apple "technically" doesn't want to allow it on anything where they can't control what type of environment it would be used in. Pioneer's App Radio functionality is similar, but much more clunky than this would be. It's too bad, really.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Can someone please explain to me what specific "Technical Hurdles" they might have to overcome? Shouldn't it be as easy as installing a new touch screen radio will a cord that you can plug your iPhone into? It doesn't seem that difficult to me.

First guess? Apple being mum on the API's and SDK's who aren't OEM's. Meaning, it will probably open up in time, but not this year. Next year's not looking too good either.

And I find it BS as an excuse to buy a new car, especially for those who got a new car in the last year or two.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
What I'm reading is that carmakers are agreeing to put this into their new vehicles as long as Apple doesn't license the thing to the Pioneers and Kenwoods of the world; effectively forcing anyone who wants this to buy a new car, or an aftermarket version of CarPlay from an auto manufacturer.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's just really early. I expect it will come, but I bet Apple wants to start with a limited number of partners, and aftermarket is low priority. And this is a case where Apple controlling their partners is vital: a bunch of really awful CarPlay implementations will be blamed on Apple, fair or not.

I assume the technical hurdles involve Apple's support for the car's own particular scroll knobs and the like (and resistive vs. capacitative screens). That makes me think aftermarket vendors would either have to emulate some known car model or collaborate--how ever minimally--with Apple. Apple's software may not have a "none of the above" car model programmed into the software. Just speculating.

And I for one would want something aftermarket! Preferably an add-on touchscreen (connected to the car's speakers, mic, and playback steering wheel controls by Bluetooth as usual) that doesn't need me to change my head unit.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX

I have an '06 Accord with Navigation. There are plenty of 3rd party adaptors that will let the iPhone/iPod emulate either a CD Changer or XM Radio to play music through. It'll also allow the driver to answer the phone, change the song, etc.

Now I haven't seen any videos of CarPlay in action, but looking at the pictures, it appears the screen will basically be an extension of the iPod. At this time, I don't think there's anything that'll change how my Accord's touch screen works and change the display while going through the audio/control connectors on the back. I see this as a huge technical hurdle. I would also imagine every Accord produced before CarPlay was announced had this same limitation. Who would have ever thought to put in that kind of interface in case a phone wants to use the screen?

As far as 3rd party HUs, they really just need to get the APIs and start making them. There may be a lot of redesign which may slow them down. It would be nice to be able to add this to older cars but most simply aren't designed for it.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
This makes my life easier. I was on the verge of getting an iPhone interface that will work with the factory sound system in my 2004 Acura, since the cassette deck stopped working and I can't use one of those clunky cassette interfaces anymore. Then when I saw the CarPlay announcement, I wondered whether we might see aftermarket solutions this year. Apparently not, so I'll proceed with my original plan.

ThreeOlives

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
People seem to be reading way too much into the Mercedes announcement, on the new C series Airplay is clearly running on top of their current COMAND system, I seriously doubt that they are talking about bringing it back past the models and model years running their current system.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I wouldn't be interested in an aftermarket product. The system needs to be integrated by the oem, lots of sensors, microphones, cameras?, etc installed throughout the car, it needs to be connected to the car's computer, it needs to have a clean ui, thought up by a small thinktank, and consistent among all oems for the sake of app development, user experience, and regulation. Perhaps Apple should work closely with one auto maker to quickly/efficiently make a great seamless product and the rest will follow.

aswiec

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
First guess? Apple being mum on the API's and SDK's who aren't OEM's. Meaning, it will probably open up in time, but not this year. Next year's not looking too good either.

And I find it BS as an excuse to buy a new car, especially for those who got a new car in the last year or two.

That isn't a Technical Hurdle though. Carplay is apparently built on Blackberry software so there really should be no reason Pioneer can't make a radio with this function. I see how they can have technical problems adding carplay to an existing radio but as for an after market radio, it should be no problem. You should be able to walk into best buy, buy a new car radio, have them install it, and have all the functionality as these other car manufacturers(minus maybe a siri button).

As for Apple being unopen about the API's and SDK, that a hurdle that they might not be able to overcome. I do think that it will happen though. They could make it a sort-of standard like they did with Airplay and AirPrint.

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
I was going to wait for this, but have instead decided to buy the following:

A blank double din facia
A $100 sony bluetooth app single din stereo
An iPad mini 3g 16gb
Audi stalk / stereo wiring kit
A fibreglass Kit

DIY mounting an iPad mini in my TT next week. This will be cheaper and more functional than the POS Audi RNSE unit I have and also aftermarket iOS in the car looks like its going to take another 3 years.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
With Volvo, it shouldn't be that hard, except integrating a touchscreen. I'd just be happy with using the knobs to navigate like I already do but having all my iPhone icons available to me.

But I have a 2013 Volvo and I'm not going to trade it in for a 2014 just for CarPlay. They should do something to accommodate these situations.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
And you know that the CarPlay API's won't be announced at WWDC 2014 or 2015 because...???

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
To operate a smooth, flat, touchscreen, requires taking your eyes off the road and looking at the screen to locate where to tap.

This very concept makes roads far more dangerous for everyone.
it's why states pass hands-free laws.

Everything should be able to be controlled by voice. We shouldn't even see computers.

Last edited:

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
apple has a huge opportunity here in the aftermarket segment. they best not squander it or else google will dominate in-car entertainment systems

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The same was said by the dealer about retrofitting a Bluetooth stereo and hands free phone integration in my 2002 mini.

Long story short I bought a $120 pioneer deck, took about two hours to install it, and I have more functionality than I would have from mini's solution.

They want to install this stuff at the factory folks they want to sell you a new car. Stereos are selling points these days with all the new features they keep cramming in. They have very little incentive to retrofit this technology for you.

----------

And you know that the CarPlay API's won't be announced at WWDC 2014 or 2015 because...???

He prefaced his statement by saying it was a first guess. What more do you need here? Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.