Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 14, 2014, 04:40 PM   #1
braddick
macrumors 68040

Rush Limbaugh swears this little trick works for iPhone battery conservation!

This morning on the way in to work I was listening to KFI out of Los Angeles and right before the top of the hour newscast listened as Rush Limbaugh stated that although he may well be mocked in the electronic press, he swears when his iPhone is completely charged he turns it completely off after unplugging it. Leaves it off for a minute or two and then powers it back on.

Says this simple trick gives him more than enough battery life to work the full day whereas before he wouldn't last till mid-afternoon.

What is your take? I think it's worth trying, but I remain a bit skeptical.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 04:42 PM   #2
ionjohn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
This morning on the way in to work I was listening to KFI out of Los Angeles and right before the top of the hour newscast listened as Rush Limbaugh stated that although he may well be mocked in the electronic press, he swears when his iPhone is completely charged he turns it completely off after unplugging it. Leaves it off for a minute or two and then powers it back on.

Says this simple trick gives him more than enough battery life to work the full day whereas before he wouldn't last till mid-afternoon.

He might be imagining this, needs testing though.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 04:48 PM   #3
rablat
Banned

We'll I have noticed that a lot of times after charging overnight, immediately after unplugging the battery drops to 98%.
If I don't reboot, battery drains faster than if I reboot the device. So I'm not sure what's going on but...
rablat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post

It probably has something to do with all apps being closed off and iOS completely restarting to the point where everything is running freshly. As opposed to running everything in the background from the previous day.
Serelus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:02 PM   #5
Phillyphil0302
macrumors member

Believe it or not, this actually works. I've been doing this for a couple years now and seems like it's had positive affect on battery life. Although, my method differs slightly from his, result looks to be same. I power down my iPhone still pluged in, where as, Rush unplugs his iPhone, then powers down.
Phillyphil0302 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:08 PM   #6
Trius
macrumors 6502a

I love that we're taking iPhone tips from Rush Limbaugh

I'll give it a shot.. although my 5S already has pretty decent battery life.
Trius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:05 AM   #7
Theufguy
macrumors newbie

I can verify this tip works, ever since 7.1 I've been getting particularly bad drain with my i5. So I woke up this morning powered it off while getting ready for work I turned it on and used it heavily for two hours. Music/videos streaming through Bluetooth, Web surfing, Facebook, Twitter here are my stats through a couple hours.
Theufguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:10 AM   #8
maflynn

I'll have to try this, though I seriously doubt this works. What it might do is adjust the phone's reading of the charge. That is what it reports is a bit more accurate then before.

So it performs the same but the charge level being reported is a bit more accurate.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:11 AM   #9
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I'll have to try this, though I seriously doubt this works. What it might do is adjust the phone's reading of the charge. That is what it reports is a bit more accurate then before.

So it performs the same but the charge level being reported is a bit more accurate.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. But I'll try it tomorrow.
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:19 AM   #10
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

I'm surprised Rush is still using iOS devices, considering his belief that perhaps liberals can easily hack his iPhone.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:20 AM   #11
avanpelt
macrumors 65816

I just powered my iPhone 5 off and back on. Prior to turning off, the battery was at 94%. When I turned it back on, it showed 99% initially but in the last two minutes has dropped down to 97%. Interesting.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serelus View Post
It probably has something to do with all apps being closed off and iOS completely restarting to the point where everything is running freshly. As opposed to running everything in the background from the previous day.
This. If I leave GPS apps on, and other backgrounded apps like Skype, it will destroy my battery life. Restarting shuts down these backgroundedd apps. Alternately, you can just shut them down individually.
Jimmy James is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone