Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:04 AM   #1
interlaced
macrumors 6502a

ice creme for powerbooks?

Okay, I know lucky iBook owners have RadTech's Ice Creme to save them from all the little scratches and whatnot, but is there something similar for Powerbooks? I tried to unscrew the memory door for the first time last week (those lil screws are on tight!) and the screwdriver slipped a little and left a light, but noticeable scratch. Any advice on remedies to get the damn thing off? Btw, it's a brand new Powerbook I bought a few months ago and have kept it in immaculate condition!! I'm furious at myself.
interlaced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:51 AM   #2
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissaaa
Okay, I know lucky iBook owners have RadTech's Ice Creme to save them from all the little scratches and whatnot, but is there something similar for Powerbooks? I tried to unscrew the memory door for the first time last week (those lil screws are on tight!) and the screwdriver slipped a little and left a light, but noticeable scratch. Any advice on remedies to get the damn thing off? Btw, it's a brand new Powerbook I bought a few months ago and have kept it in immaculate condition!! I'm furious at myself.
Babe, how often do you look at the bottomcase on your PB?

That is the one case part I could care less about unless it somehow affected the function of the palmrest or how the pb closed.

I have your same Powerbook. If it were the lid or palmrest, I'd be bugged. But so what about the bottom case? You should have seen how scratched up my old Tibooks bottom cases were. Who cares unless they affect function because who sees 'em?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 03:46 PM   #3
interlaced
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by California
Babe, how often do you look at the bottomcase on your PB?

That is the one case part I could care less about unless it somehow affected the function of the palmrest or how the pb closed.

I have your same Powerbook. If it were the lid or palmrest, I'd be bugged. But so what about the bottom case? You should have seen how scratched up my old Tibooks bottom cases were. Who cares unless they affect function because who sees 'em?
lol. i'm just bummed because i've been trying so hard to keep this in perfect condition. the only other macs i've owned, i've purchased on ebay so they were all obviously used with scratches all over. oh well!
interlaced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 05:02 PM   #4
stevep
macrumors 6502a

Although everyone talks about 'aluminium' PowerBooks, they aren't just ordinary aluminium - they are an alloy. Aluminium itself is much too soft to be of any use. Also the alloy is anodised to give it a protective finish - probably acid-anodising, which is between 3 and 25 microns thick (typically around 12-15 microns). If you try to remove a scratch with an abrasive compound like Ice Creme you risk abrading the surrounding anodic coating and you'll end up with a large discoloured area.
Your best bet is to try a coloured automobile polish - in the uk you can buy polishes in different colours, which are loaded with a pigment. Just gently wipe a little polish over the scratch, let it dry off and wipe away the excess and it should disguise it. If it doesn't work you can remove it with a cloth dampened with methylated spirits without harming the original finish.
I think you'll have to come to terms with not removing the blemish totally
stevep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 05:15 PM   #5
bigandy
macrumors G3

i've been really annoyed i can't find a suitable cleaner. i've pretty much given up trying to keep my powerbook spotless now, after the amount of times i've dropped it. it's dented and scratched and bent EVERYWHERE. almost.

but it still works well, so it's not all bad

and seeing as i got it free from my uni....

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs