Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Mavs, latest iTunes force me through iCloud which is seriously stupid as users in the developing world do not enjoy affordable or even availability of essential bandwidth. Basic 3G sometimes, but more likely GRPS/Edge.

2/3 of global smartphone users are being adversely affected by the brainless systems architecture and policies only suited to their needs and relevant only to a minority of privileged users.

I received an iPhone 5 as a gift. It has failed me in many ways. My needs are;

1. Full office functionality including Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint and OneNote, or similar. Apple's Notes is an amateur joke.

2. Full local sync via wireless, Bluetooth or USB. Where I live, cloud services are a NO-NO as cellular data signal coverage is in deficit. I know of Akruto and Companionlink, but is there a native app that can be doing this?

3. Excellent call quality and battery life.

4. Screen legible in bright sunlight.

5. Enough storage and/or memory card expansion slot.

6. I will get a tablet as well, so 1520 is overkill. I use my phone as a phone and not as a computer.

I am looking at Nokia and HTC but suggestions for both phone and 10" tablet most welcome. Please speak from experience as an adult business user only and kids & teens are asked not to comment as I won't be using it for social media, fun or games. Samsung and others???

The phone will need to accompany me to mining and construction sites and act as quality camera as photos will be used in business presentations.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say take a look at Samsun's new S5 or the Note 3 if you want a larger phone.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
I am not keen on using biometrics for security. If those can function without the fingerprint scanner??

How secure is Android?

Are Samsungs more reliable mechanically than Apple? I owned many a Nokia since 1995, also cheap basic Motorolas, Alcatel and LG. My iPhone 5 was my first phone ever with a failure and Apple was very slow in replacing it. The process spannef three calendar months. And the replacement is taking yellow--ish photos.

I need something uttetly reliable.

I do not need a larger phone as a full tablet will serve that need. I need one that fits in my pocket and essentially has excellent audio call quality.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Mavs, latest iTunes force me through iCloud which is seriously stupid as users in the developing world do not enjoy affordable or even availability of essential bandwidth. Basic 3G sometimes, but more likely GRPS/Edge.

2/3 of global smartphone users are being adversely affected by the brainless systems architecture and policies only suited to their needs and relevant only to a minority of privileged users.

1. Full office functionality including Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint and OneNote, or similar. Apple's Notes is an amateur joke.

2. Full local sync via wireless, Bluetooth or USB. Where I live, cloud services are a NO-NO as cellular data signal coverage is in deficit. I know of Akruto and Companionlink, but is there a native app that can be doing this?

6. I will get a tablet as well, so 1520 is overkill. I use my phone as a phone and not as a computer.

I am looking at Nokia and HTC but suggestions for both phone and 10" tablet most welcome. Please speak from experience as an adult business user only and kids & teens are asked not to comment as I won't be using it for social media, fun or games. Samsung and others???

The phone will need to accompany me to mining and construction sites and act as quality camera as photos will be used in business presentations.

Note 3 or the next One seem perfect for you then. The iPhone doesn't fail at productivity. Did you even download Pages, Numbers and the like?

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
In my country, we pay up to 55% more for Apple than US buyers and then I still have to use a weak currency to buy iWork apps at added cost. It should have been part of iPhone.
Samsung does not let you pay for Polaris Office.

When we buy big on Apple, we simply get no discount even. I took a bite - look at the logo - and it did mot taste good. Apple bullies us into submission and loyal users are not rewarded. If Apple does not respect us but only want our money.......I'm no cyber prostitute.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am not keen on using biometrics for security. If those can function without the fingerprint scanner??
S4 and the Note 3 do not use fingerprint scanners, the S5 copied apple and uses it now.

How secure is Android?
Fairly secure though not as secure as apple as their app store has malware so you have to be a bite more aware.

Are Samsungs more reliable mechanically than Apple?
I'd say about the same. People have complained the phones don't feel as good as Apple's. That is the plastic does not befit the premium pricing, on the other hand there are people who feel its a better product because its not so fragile.

My iPhone 5 was my first phone ever with a failure and Apple was very slow in replacing it. The process spannef three calendar months. And the replacement is taking yellow--ish photos.
I have no experience with Samsung's customer support, though I wonder if you would have to go through your carrier and not the manufacturer. My wife needed to replace her iPhone and that experience was professional and fast. While I can empathize, I don't think what you endured is typical, in fact Apple's customer satisfaction rate is quite high.

I need something uttetly reliable.
I think the iPhone 5s fits the bill but you do not want to stay on the iOS platform. I'd also as mentioned recommend the the S4, or even consider a Google Nexus, though there's no subsidized pricing and if you're on Verizon I don't think they have a Nexus for that carrier.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions. I have handled a Nexus for a few minutes and quite liked it. Plastic faking carbon fire but it felt well in my hand.

Apple does mot deal direct in my country and the intermediary is autocratic. As are the carriers who import iPhones. Service levels are terrible here.

Plastic: all my Nokias were made from rather bold, sturdy plastic. Unbreakable.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Plastic: all my Nokias were made from rather bold, sturdy plastic. Unbreakable.

Nokia means windows phone and you'll have to consider lack of apps, but you will get the office apps which appears to be high on your list.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
People rate phones by the size of the app stores. That is downright daft as apps are where malware lurk. It seems that Windows Phone will be a good solution, yes. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
People rate phones by the size of the app stores.
No it isn't. Take The Palm Pre, a phone that had a great OS, no question, but one issue is that it lacked the apps people wanted. That just exacerbated the problem of people avoiding that platform.

If a platform does not have the apps that people want, then they'll not buy that phone, simple. Its really not a daft concept.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Every review, be it GSMArena, TechRadar, other online reviews, in the printed media: app store size is what features prominently.

People need to learn to distinguish between Need vs Want.

People want many things that rhey do not need and dance with fate as many approved apps have done bad things after installation, on iOS and Android, afaik.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
App store size was an important metric, otherwise the phone would be less useful. For iOS and Android the app store size is not as important as most apps are released on both platforms but the fact remains. If there are apps that you need (or even want) and those are not available on a given platform, then you shouldn't buy that phone.

Windows phone is in this predicament right now, but with a growing marketshare perhaps its changing. Lack of apps is still a major issue being held against that platform.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
So I bought an iPhone that could sync locally via USB as is my real need. So did many others, only to by sabotaged by the iDictator.

Its gazillion of apps does not save it and scores of EU users are up in arms, so are we in Africa. The problem is that 300m Americans think that 6,7 b people are like them and live, work and play like them.

Why do I need to send data from my iPhone to my MBP using a 32,000km detour? Why is it better to do that and pay for it when my USB would have been free? Where is the logic in that and how does the Appstore help?

They even flagged ML to delete iSync on boot-up!

Oh, nice, I can check my heart rhythm on my pjone now. Really, why would I need rhat?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So I bought an iPhone that could sync locally via USB as is my real need. So did many others, only to by sabotaged by the iDictator.

Its gazillion of apps does not save it and scores of EU users are up in arms, so are we in Africa. The problem is that 300m Americans think that 6,7 b people are like them and live, work and play like them.

Why do I need to send data from my iPhone to my MBP using a 32,000km detour? Why is it better to do that and pay for it when my USB would have been free? Where is the logic in that and how does the Appstore help?

Oh, nice, I can check my heart rhythm on my pjone now. Really, why would I need rhat?

You seem to be somewhat misinformed. You do not need to use iCloud to sync/backup an iPhone--plug it into your computer and choose local sync options. You can even sync locally over wifi once you've done the initial local USB setup.

In fact, if you are adamantly against syncing via cloud solutions, I'd stay away from Android altogether as optimal syncing solutions are done via the cloud--syncing locally via software provided by device OEMs are pretty awful.

Some advice--dial back on the melodramatic conspiracy theory theatrics in your posts and be a bit more clear on your very specific needs (your essential needs include full Office functionality but in the same post state you state 'I use my phone as a phone, not as a computer' :confused:) and you might find a little helpful advice flows your way.

All that being said, and not knowing what's available to you in your country, I'd suggest a Nokia--maybe the 1020. You claim availability of apps doesn't matter, you need Office functionality, seem to prefer robust plastic builds, also seem to place some emphasis on camera quality, and have good history using Nokia's in the past--check mark in all those. I haven't used a WP in a while but I believe it offers local syncing with a computer.

And you could then pair if off with Nokia's Windows tab, the 2520, I believe.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Nokia means windows phone and you'll have to consider lack of apps, but you will get the office apps which appears to be high on your list.

Nokia also means low cost Android phones, with their new Nokia X line.

They sell from about $120 to $160, with 4" up to 5" screens.

They just presold a million Nokia X devices in just a few days in China.

Kind of embarrassing to Microsoft, athough the X line interestingly comes with some Microsoft apps like Outlook, Skype, One Drive, instead of Google apps. (Supposedly it's easy enough to sideload those.)

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Geez what a PITA, you would be one customer I would be glad to see the back of:)

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Not sure if your confused as to what iCloud is, but it is optional and not needed to sync with the iPhone. You can use iCloud, iTunes, or nothing at all and keep your iPhone separate from everything else. Also, the iWork suite is free with new iOS devices purchased after September of last year.

I agree with the poster above that a Nokia would probably be your best bet with what your asking for from your phone. Another alternative is the Moto X/G, but I'm not sure if those are available in your country.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Not sure if your confused as to what iCloud is, but it is optional and not needed to sync with the iPhone. You can use iCloud, iTunes, or nothing at all and keep your iPhone separate from everything else. Also, the iWork suite is free with new iOS devices purchased after September of last year.

I agree with the poster above that a Nokia would probably be your best bet with what your asking for from your phone. Another alternative is the Moto X/G, but I'm not sure if those are available in your country.

You obviously don't keep up with updates and how that changes how we work. I should not even be commenting as your ignorance is obvious. First local sync for Notes was taken away from iTunes, now contacts, calendars and reminders are being taken away. Guess you never knew………

And I have been in IT since 1982 and know rather well what iCloud is.

----------

Reading the link below will bring clarity.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ip...g-their-customers-there-free.html#post3513268

and also this as well as t=following the links in that document
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...f=19&t=1225375)

Last edited:

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
In my country, we pay up to 55% more gor Apple than US buyers and then I still have to use a weak currency to buy iWork apps at added cost. It should have been part of iPhone.
Samsung does not let you pay for Polaris Office.

When we buy big on Apple, we simply get no discount even. I took a bite - look at the logo - and it did mot taste good. Apple bullies us into submission and loyal users are not rewarded. If Apple does not respect us but only want our money.......I'm no cyber prostitute.

Every new iPhone gets those apps for free.

----------

You obviously don't keep up with updates and how that changes how we work. I should not even be commenting as your ignorance is obvious. First local sync for Notes was taken away from iTunes, now contacts, calendars and reminders are being taken away. Guess you never knew………

And I have been in IT since 1982 and know rather well what iCloud is.

----------

Reading the link below will bring clarity.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ip...g-their-customers-there-free.html#post3513268

and also this as well as t=following the links in that document
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...f=19&t=1225375)

You have got to be joking me. Android central is biased in the sense its an Android website ITS IN THE BLOODY NAME!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Actually for everything you listed the Nokia 1520 is actually best of a bunch despite you saying you don't need a phablet.

It has the best screen for sunlight readability and I have had practically every flagship phone of last year.

Full office productivity and importantly - the bigger screen HELPs with office productivity.

Has 32gb storage with a micro SD for more.

Battery life is great

Call quality and signal reception is better than all Android handsets I've owned.

Has full local sync with PC & Mac

And as for camera - it's simply one of the best on the market in a smartphone.

So yes it's bigger than a normal phone, but seriously after a couple weeks of using it - you adapt and don't think of it as being bigger. It is amazing how quickly you adapt to a bigger phone, and for everything else you actually need in a handset - the lumia 1520 hands down offers you 100% of what you listed as priorities.

Sure you can go to android, but often syncing solutions are shocking to macs, and it's just as much embedded in cloud infrastructure as Apple. Sure you can get office compatible solutions - but you don't get OFFICE. Sure you get a good camera - but the Nokia is likewise one of the best out there. As for durability, the polycarbonate shell off the Lumia 1520 feels more rugged and durable than S4, Note 3, LG G2, HTC One.

So you are going to have to compromise on something, if your priorities are based on importance and Office comparability and easy sync with computers including macs, then maybe a compromise on screen size is better than trading off on any of the other things such as sunlight readability, camera, syncability (seriously android manufactuers software on macs suck balls).

I honestly would go for the Lumia 1520, it's not as big as it seems - you adapt far quicker than you expect, and you never know it may save you from having to buy a tablet....

Or simply wait for the Nokia 930 to be announced, it should share a lot of similaritys with the 1520 but be smaller.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well, seems I was mistaken--didn't realize you could no longer sync calendar, contacts, bookmarks, or notes to an iPhone via iTunes (at least on a Mac running Mavericks), been so long since I used this functionality.

I don't have any Windows machines--is it the same in iTunes on Windows?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
My needs are;

Have you looked at BlackBerry?

(2) The BlackBerry 10 OS supports USB/Wi-Fi sync via an application called BlackBerry Link. It's basic and does the job well, especially when you have everything set up in Contacts, Calendar and iTunes. It also makes local backups.

(3) The latest BlackBerry 10 devices, Q10 and Z30, have pretty good battery life and I think the call quality is excellent. The Z10 is reported to have worse battery life than those, but I cannot reproduce that myself. Besides, the Z10 and Q10 allow you to easily swap out batteries (which are really cheap right now). I purchased a battery kit (battery and charging station) for €25 that lets you use the second battery as a mobile charging station for your device.

(4) That's always a difficult one with LCD and AMOLED. From my own experience with the Z10, I think it is OK. The screen brightness automatically adjusts itself and most apps support a dark theme as well.

(5) All three mentioned devices come with a basic 16GB of storage and support one SD card (up to 64GB). You can also encrypt all of it.

With regard to your first point, this is the tricky one. It does support editing and creating of Office documents (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) out of the box, but it is by no means an Office equivalent. That being said, BlackBerry 10.2.1 supports direct installs of Android APKs and there is a fairly easy way to get Google Play on your device (or Amazon or 1Mobile). If it's on Google Play, chances are that you might be able to use an Android app for that. From my own experience, the Android support is reasonable and it has come a long way since BlackBerry 10 was released last year. The improvements since then are incredible.

I have been using iPhone for over five years and am also not so thrilled by the choices Apple has made recently. The last couple of years, when I ended my studies, I noticed that my usage patterns have focussed largely on communication and browsing, not apps or games. This is something BlackBerry 10 probably excels at, as a more corporate-oriented phone. The file manager and document support also give you a lot more flexibility than iOS could ever do. BlackBerry 10 is so refreshingly common-sensical that I suggest you have a look at it. There is so much more to tell. :D

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Have you looked at BlackBerry?

(2) The BlackBerry 10 OS supports USB/Wi-Fi sync via an application called BlackBerry Link. It's basic and does the job well, especially when you have everything set up in Contacts, Calendar and iTunes. It also makes local backups.

(3) The latest BlackBerry 10 devices, Q10 and Z30, have pretty good battery life and I think the call quality is excellent. The Z10 is reported to have worse battery life than those, but I cannot reproduce that myself. Besides, the Z10 and Q10 allow you to easily swap out batteries (which are really cheap right now). I purchased a battery kit (battery and charging station) for €25 that lets you use the second battery as a mobile charging station for your device.

(4) That's always a difficult one with LCD and AMOLED. From my own experience with the Z10, I think it is OK. The screen brightness automatically adjusts itself and most apps support a dark theme as well.

(5) All three mentioned devices come with a basic 16GB of storage and support one SD card (up to 64GB). You can also encrypt all of it.

With regard to your first point, this is the tricky one. It does support editing and creating of Office documents (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) out of the box, but it is by no means an Office equivalent. That being said, BlackBerry 10.2.1 supports direct installs of Android APKs and there is a fairly easy way to get Google Play on your device (or Amazon or 1Mobile). If it's on Google Play, chances are that you might be able to use an Android app for that. From my own experience, the Android support is reasonable and it has come a long way since BlackBerry 10 was released last year. The improvements since then are incredible.

I will see if it can take Parrot Office as that will solve the issue.

I have been using iPhone for over five years and am also not so thrilled by the choices Apple has made recently. The last couple of years, when I ended my studies, I noticed that my usage patterns have focussed largely on communication and browsing, not apps or games. This is something BlackBerry 10 probably excels at, as a more corporate-oriented phone. The file manager and document support also give you a lot more flexibility than iOS could ever do. BlackBerry 10 is so refreshingly common-sensical that I suggest you have a look at it. There is so much more to tell. :D

A retired engineer who refurbishes BB's as a hobby says that there should be an age restriction on Blackberry - nobody under 35 should be using it as it is, in his opinion, not a toy for teens but a serious business tool. Mmmm. I agree.

I am sold on Blackberry. They can even hire me as a "berryvangelist" as I am sold on their system. It is with good reason that Pres Obama is not even allowed an iPhone, only a Blackberry. His children have iPhone, though.

Battery life and hardware failures are what has discouraged me thus far, yet my iPhone 5's battery life was excellent. Then we updated to iOS7 from 6 and every subsequent update sees a further decline in battery life. I go through my battery in less than two hours now, when it lasted for 7+ while on iOS 6.

Yes, you "speaka ma language" here and I have a smile on my face; our son is a brand worshiper and he cannot see beyond Apple. I am an agnostic when it comes to brands so I am prone to look at my needs and then what the product offers. BB ticks all my boxes, surely, already for its excellent security and also business-friendly operation.

----------

Well, seems I was mistaken--didn't realize you could no longer sync calendar, contacts, bookmarks, or notes to an iPhone via iTunes (at least on a Mac running Mavericks), been so long since I used this functionality.

I don't have any Windows machines--is it the same in iTunes on Windows?

Here is a report from the UK. I am not sure, I may have posted this already so please accept my apologies for duplicating. I am working on a tiny screen and eyesight is bad after 30+ years of working on computers.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/07/apple_mandates_icloud_contact_syncing/

Fury as OS X Mavericks users FORCED to sync contact books with iCloud
It's gotta go up to Cupertino's servers and back down again and who knows in between
By John Leyden, 7 Nov 2013
Unquote

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.