Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chadwik147

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Have a question about running WOW on my late 2008 alum 13 " macbook

My specs meet the minimum specs to run WOW except my video card ( blizzard recommends NVIDIA® GeForce 8600M GT and I have NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB )

I am currently using the latest version of Maverick.

I know the performance of the game will be iffy at best even with tinkering with the video performance settings in the game, but Im really just interested in casual playing with the game to kill some time here and there and i'm not too concerned with performance.

My question doesn't really pertain to the performance with the game, rather with the effect it might have on the life of my computer. I've done some research and have seen some stories about games such as these burning up the video cards on these older MacBooks, and since they are integrated in once the video card goes bad you are pretty much SOL.

I was just looking for some feedback/advice on if running WOW on my macbook will create a decent chance of diminishing the lifespan of the machine as it wears on the video card. I am very happy with the performance of the machine, still runs great after 6 years.

Can anyone give any feedback/advice/past experience? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

And sorry in advance for my babbling and not making this question nice and condensed lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.