Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ADangerousTaco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
I am attempting to install windows 7 on my mid 2007 core 2 extreme iMac. I open bootcamp and do all of the steps except the usb flash drive drivers from apple because the server always fails to load. After restarting, I install windows 7 to the bootcamp partition, and the screen goes black during the "Completing Installation." I wait about an hour before shutting down and rebooting into my Mac partition. I use paragon ntfs for mac and go to the drivers folder and delete the atikmdag.sys file and restart. Booting into the windows partition, I get the error that says "Windows installation has failed because the system unexpectedly restarted. Click ok to restart and redo installation" or something along those lines. Instead of pressing ok, I press shift+f10 and open regedit. After opening regedit, I go into some registry file for the setup (I don't remember where this is located, although I can find it if needed), and I change a value from 3 to 1. After doing this and restarting, It boots regularly with a super low res screen but it boots without problem. I go to the apple website and download the appropriate bootcamp support software and install on my windows partition. After restarting, the screen is black again. I assume this is another video driver problem again because the black screen seems to mostly be video driver problems; however, its odd that the bootcamp support software would give me an incorrect video driver as it is directly from apple. Would this be the problem or does anyone know a fix? Any help is appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.