Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Hi guys

I am going to get an old mac from someone and they just need to get the info off first. Thing is they didn't give me the model but told me that the info is on a disk which fits into the attached photo. Does anyone know what it is and how to get the info off to work on a PC.

Thanks
ahu3a9e5.jpg

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That looks to be a tray for one of Apple's early pre-PowerPC CD-ROM drives. I think they can be opened like a standard CD case and the disc read in a standard Macintosh. You may get a better answer by asking to have your thread moved to the Apple Collector's sub-forum.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi guys

I am going to get an old mac from someone and they just need to get the info off first. Thing is they didn't give me the model but told me that the info is on a disk which fits into the attached photo. Does anyone know what it is and how to get the info off to work on a PC.

Thanks Image
The tray is for a CD-ROM. Back in the mid-90s, this is how CD-ROMS were done on Mac. You put your disc in the tray, closed it and then inserted the tray into the drive.

You don't need that tray at all for modern optical drives. Just insert the disc into your Mac (or PC).

----------

That looks to be a tray for one of Apple's early pre-PowerPC CD-ROM drives. I think they can be opened like a standard CD case and the disc read in a standard Macintosh. You may get a better answer by asking to have your thread moved to the Apple Collector's sub-forum.
Yeah, I had a friend who had one of these Macs and my mom also had one. Weird contraption.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
turns out he is going to use 3 1/2 disks instead and simply needs a way to read mac disks now on his old microsoft pc, I believe its running xp.

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2014
Ah, the old CD caddy. I used to have stacks of them, both in grey, and black colouring, for SCSI DC-ROM drives. They were actually very useful, to protect discs from scratches, as once you inserted a disc into a caddy, you never again needed to touch the media; assuming that, like me, you had one caddy per disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.