Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mickovich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
Hi,

I have a power consumption question about these two combos in a macbook.
I have a 13'' 2009 alu macbook pro which had a hdd by default. About a 1,5 year ago i put a crucial m4 256gb ssd drive to the main bay and moved the hdd to optical drive place.
My old macbook battery was never changed during the 4-5 years i've had this mac and had 1300 cycles count, lasted like 1:20hours without a charger, so i decided to get a new one. The new one gives me 5+ hours when idle, screen 50% brightness and about 3:40 when surfing the web.

So it got me questioned, if i would swap my hdd in optical drive with a ssd, how much would I get from my battery then? Could I get it to 5+ hours when surfing the web.
I know it also boils down to this, how much i use the second drive in the optical drive place, but considering it also has music stored on it and i use itunes constantly when using my computer, the second drive is in use pretty much 50% of all of the time.

If it would get me the desired results i would think of going with the crucial m500 256gb ssd - i am currently very satisfied with the m4 - what do you think about the m500?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.