Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to release a new 8 GB version of the iPhone 5c tomorrow, according to an alleged note to retailers from Vodafone's O2 unit in Germany shared by Caschys Blog [Google Translate]. The legitimacy of the note is unverified, but German site iFun reported a similar tip [Google Translate] just a few minutes later and several tipsters have even reported to MacRumors that shipments of the new models have arrived at carrier stores in the UK.

iphone5c.jpg
Pricing on the 8 GB model has yet to be revealed, but one of the sources has indicated that the device will be available in all of the existing color options. All of the reports we've seen so far have come from Europe, but the device would presumably see a worldwide launch as there would seem to be little reason for Apple to limit distribution to Europe.

Apple's iPhone 5c has seen lower than expected sales since its debut last September alongside the flagship iPhone 5s, with the iPhone 5c essentially representing an iPhone 5 repackaged in colorful new plastic shells and available in 16 GB and 32 GB capacities priced $100 below the corresponding iPhone 5s models. A new 8 GB model would allow Apple to bring the entry-level price for the iPhone 5c even lower, and while the capacity may not be enough for some users, many budget consumers may find it acceptable and Apple does currently offer an 8 GB iPhone 4s as its cheapest option in most countries.

Update 8:17 AM: A photo of a packaging label from the new 8 GB iPhone 5c has now surfaced.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Launching 8 GB iPhone 5c Tomorrow

Goldex

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
They should make the switch from

8 GB - 16 GB - 32 GB - 64 GB

to

16 GB - 32 GB - 64 GB - 128 GB

tomorrow

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I fully expect that an 8 GB 5c would be free on contract. It should replace the 8 GB 4S that's currently free on contract. No reason to keep the 4S in the lineup any longer.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
For some types of users, 8GB is plenty. My dad would be fine with 8GB because he doesn't take pictures or store much of anything on his iPhone. He uses the internet and such on it extensively, but that doesn't require storage.

Assuming it'd let them cut costs, they should release an 8GB 5C that also lacks a back camera, or has a lower quality camera. If you don't need storage, you're likely also not taking pictures (because you pretty much can't without any space to store them). All you need is the FaceTime camera.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I don't even see the 16GB storage in my iPhone 5S being sufficient for my extensive photography with it. How could a non-expandable 8GB storage ever considered usable for iOS device?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If this was available for $100 cheaper off-contract at launch, I definitely would have bought one.

Last edited:

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
The 4 and 4s models will be discontinued if this is true. But 8GB is a little bit too tight.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't even see the 16GB storage in my iPhone 5S being sufficient for my extensive photography with it. How could a non-expandable 8GB storage ever considered usable for iOS device?

the 16gb comes with 12.8 of usable space and I still have 8.8 free.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Seeing this, I'm not really keeping my hopes up the the basic iPhone 6 model will finally ship with 32 GB. :( I just can't afford to buy the more expensive model, so it would be nice to see that even the smallest storage is plenty (at least for my needs).

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
For those (most) who are unaware....the reports going back PRIOR to the September 2013 launch stated quite clearly the 4S would remain as the $0 / 8 GB device in the lineup for a limited period of time, some even stated until early 2014....so this is falling right in line with what was planned almost a year ago...

Figured I'd post that since I'm sure most forum members will act like this is some act of desperation on Apple's part (as Macrumors and other site authors already have).

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Older folks who mainly still use their iPhone as a phone would only need 8 GB of storage. My mom, for example, has an 8 GB 3GS that she hasn't seen any need to replace. She has maybe 10 apps on the phone and a few dozen pictures. She mainly uses her phone for calls and texts and that's about it. An 8 GB 5c for free on contract might actually allow me to finally convince her to upgrade.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If this was available for $100 off-contract at launch, I definitely would have bought one.

Apple isn't in the business of selling money-losers.....

They'd lose what, roughly $50-75 per phone if they sold at $100 off-contract? That's nuts....not even Amazon would touch those margins.

I always said if they sold the 5C at $350 off-contract, it would've been perfect. As it stands having bought mine for $350 (with the early iPhone upgrade), I love it. It really is a nice device - very well made and comfortable.

An 8GB at $250 off-contract would be pretty great.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
add black

8GB
Black
at a 8GB price
and they have the new world model selling millions more
China
India
etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.