Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's rumored "Healthbook" app for iOS 8 may be the company's first big push into the current health and fitness craze that is being fueled by wearable technology, and a new report from 9to5Mac offers a look at what users can expect from the app as well as a few renderings of the app said to be recreated from actual screenshots.

healthbook_rendering.jpg
The renderings show a Passbook-inspired user interface with cards for different heath and fitness data points, with the app able to keep track of vitals mentioned in previous rumors such as heart rate, hydration, blood pressure, physical activity and more. Notably missing from the renders are parameters for other topic such as stress and pregnancy tracking, which had been suggested in a separate report from MobiHealthNews last month.
Each category of functionality is a card in the Healthbook. Cards are distinguished by a color, and the tabs can be arranged to fit user preferences. As can be seen in the above images, Healthbook has sections that can track data pertaining to bloodwork, heart rate, hydration, blood pressure, physical activity, nutrition, blood sugar, sleep, respiratory rate, oxygen saturation, and weight.
A big chunk of the Healtbook app will be dedicated to measurable health parameters such as blood sugar levels, oxygen saturation, bloodwork values and more. The blood sugar tracking would let diabetics enter their daily or weekly glucose levels and track changes over time, while the bloodwork tab would allow users to enter the results of routine bloodwork tests that are used to screen for overall nutrition as well as heart, kidney or liver disease. When combined, these parameters will provide the user and their doctor with a snapshot of the person's overall health at any given time.

Another focus of the app is fitness, with the ability to track activity levels, nutrition, and weight changes over time. Data in these tabs would provide detailed analysis of calories burned, BMI, body fat percentage and more. This section, which also includes sleep tracking and hydration measurement, provides the user with an overview of their fitness and allows them to monitor any changes over time.

The mechanisms by which the app will retrieve this health and fitness data, especially the more difficult to measure vitals such as hydration and blood sugar, are not clear, although it is likely the app will utilize some combination of the iPhone's M7 motion coprocessor, third-party devices, third-party apps and Apple's own wearable devices such as the rumored iWatch.
Thanks to the capabilities of the iPhone 5s's M7 motion co-processor, Healthbook could technically receive steps, miles walked, and caloric data from the iPhone itself. However, that is where the M7 stops being useful for Healthbook. Blood, hydration, and respiratory rate information would clearly need to come from other sources.
Apple has been hiring health and fitness experts to build out its iWatch team, and is rumored to be using this expertise in the development of its first wearable device. The iWatch is rumored to launch later this year, and Healthbook should debut as part of iOS 8 in a similar timeframe late this year.

Article Link: Apple's Healthbook App for iOS Shown in Renderings with New Details

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
millions of health app developers suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
If they can implement this seamlessly and beautifully as described ( the true Apple way) It has the potential for another revolution. However I don't see oxygen level, blood pressure, blood sugar etc useful or necessary for that matter for the mainstream user. After all those sensors are the difficult ones to implement anyway.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I am more interested in how the screenshots got leaked. :cool:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
This and the Original 9to5Mac article are very strange.

These are simply "recreations" or some designer's mockups...albeit nice and detailed. but this headline and the original and the articles themselves make it sound as THESE are official.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
Reads interesting. I wonder how much of it will be done by the iWatch? I'm guessing it will be able to do blood pressure and steps. I'm assuming the blood glucose would be by a 3rd party adapter? The sleep one is interesting. I wonder if the iWatch will somehow be incorporated with that category?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I hope whoever is leaking this stuff is found out and fired. C'mon Tim, time to triple down on secrecy.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Hmmm

'a few renderings of the app said to be recreated from actual screenshots."

Why not just post the renderings. Why did someone "recreate" from actual screenshots.

Weird.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Such colors. Much Unicorn.

Aside that functionality wise this looks hot! And someone should slap Jony Ive and try put some sense to him. This design trend is getting to a ridiculous proportion. :mad:

This is NOT easy on the eye. Nor is it good design. :mad:

ubIvCbr.jpg

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I'm really into health and fitness (had various health issues) - plus been a Nike FuelBand owner for 2 years.

Nail all this, Apple, and I'll be back with you guys in 6 months time.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
If Apple next iPhone can check blood pressure and sugar, lots of this blood test device would suffer. But good for us consumer needn't such device.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I absolutely cannot wait for this (But I must). Assuming the new iWatch tracks all of this, this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hmmm

Why not just post the renderings. Why did someone "recreate" from actual screenshots.

Weird.

Because Michael Steeber wants to show everyone he knows how to use photoshop. :D

Infinus.gold

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
I wonder how this app is going to get all the data...
what will be size of new iPhone if all the sensors are included in device.
i think apple will provide a different device to collect data.
may be...
iHeart,
iLife,
iHealth,
iFit,
iEnergy,
iFitness,
iState,
iPrime,
iFine,
iFettle,
iShape,
iForm,
iBloom,
iVigor,
iTone.
iActive
iVeritas
iBeat
iTrainer

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Apple would likely hold off on any apps that deal with things like stress or even pregnancy. You want an app that holds and records data, but leaves the interpretation of that information to the user or medical professionals. There are apps that purport to do more, and (disclaimers aside) end up being wrong because most things in medicine/biology are more complex then a few simple rules of thumb. Common wisdom is a help for sure, but when people assume that they can completely rely on an app to help with diagnosis or to assume that everything in their pregnancy is peachy, then you have an issue :(.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'd rather not obsessively monitor all of this stuff day in and day out. I want to just live life without worrying about things like this. I hope this is an app from the App Store and not one preinstalled and not delete-able.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Another useless and irremovable icon added to the iOS homescreen.

Maybe for you, but I'm really looking forward to this. I will likely use it on a daily basis if the functionality is there. This could potential replace three apps I currently use.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Hmmm

Weird.

Probably to protect the leaker's job. They might have specific codes/numbers on screen unique to the phone tested in the beta test phase of Healthbook. If the actual screenshot is revealed Apple might trace it back to the leaker, proceeding to firing that respective person/people.

On the other hand it might all be total baloney that is "said" to be from a leaked screenshot. I'll put my two cents on the former though because this health book thing seems to be coming up a lot. It supports Tim Cook's hint of Apple entering new markets and product categories in 2014.

All I know for sure is I am restless for Apple to get into the health/fitness market with the iWatch. Come on already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.