Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
Is there anything specific to take into account regarding the fact that its only got a integrated gnu? Previously some games has required a dedicated gpu to play, is that a non issue these days?

What about memory? Can you dedicate more memory to it if you get 16Gb for example?

Anything else to consider?

Diablo III is my primary objective, perhaps some borderlands 2... Opinions? I have a few days to decide or Ill probably put it off for an extended time, I have a chance for a very good price atm.

Appreciate your input.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
OS X allocates vRAM dynamically up to a certain amount. You cannot change it.

If you want to see how it performs, there are dozens of gameplay videos on Youtube.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
Is there anything specific to take into account regarding the fact that its only got a integrated gnu? Previously some games has required a dedicated gpu to play, is that a non issue these days?

What about memory? Can you dedicate more memory to it if you get 16Gb for example?

Anything else to consider?

Diablo III is my primary objective, perhaps some borderlands 2... Opinions? I have a few days to decide or Ill probably put it off for an extended time, I have a chance for a very good price atm.

Appreciate your input.
I'm playing diablo 3 just fine on my 13" (intel 5100), so I imagine the 15" with the pro (5200) will play it even better.

It's all about the settings you choose really. On lowish - medium settings I can stay pretty well around 40-50 fps (this is at 1680x1050), and even in big fights I don't feel like I'm ever dropping below 30.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
How long do you expect you'll keep the machine? I'd get the high end model if you can afford it, especially if you plan to keep it for more than two years. Game requirements will take a leap when we start seeing more next-gen only games come out.

For the games that you mentioned though, the iris pro will be more than enough.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You could save money going with a 2012 with the 650m. It's the same chip as the 750m clocked lower, and you will still be ahead of iris pro for less money.

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
Im planning to decrease the amount of gaming I do, and I like having retina and an SSD, so the low end Mbp from late 2013 sounds the most interesting to me. I cannot afford the high end one.

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
Im planning to decrease the amount of gaming I do, and I like having retina and an SSD, so the low end Mbp from late 2013 sounds the most interesting to me. I cannot afford the high end one.

The entry-level, current-generation rMBP 15" is around ~$1700 on refurb, making it even cheaper than the $2K you may be expecting to spend. For D3 and BL2, the entry-level rMBP will be fine and it doesn't sound like you're planning to get into many newer games going forward.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Are you planning on doing anything in Premiere Pro or other CS6 programs? Cuz they like Nvidia GPUs for acceleration. Makes a very significant difference in Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend nearly 2k without a dedicated GPU.

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
The entry-level, current-generation rMBP 15" is around ~$1700 on refurb, making it even cheaper than the $2K you may be expecting to spend. For D3 and BL2, the entry-level rMBP will be fine and it doesn't sound like you're planning to get into many newer games going forward.

Is there a way to find refurbs that are available for pickup in NYC, or do I need to order them online always? Im just in town for a few days.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Is there a way to find refurbs that are available for pickup in NYC, or do I need to order them online always? Im just in town for a few days.

You have to order it online, but you can have it get sent to an Apple store. Might take longer than a few days, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.