Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Ok, I've found a few forums (reddit, apple, etc.) on clicking screen noise. My issue from what I saw on those forums wasn't exactly the same, or at least I don't believe so.

I just upgraded from an iPad2 to an Air with Targets promo last week. First thing I noticed was I was being what you might consider "aggressively" (quickly) tapping the screen in different areas (quickly tailoring the settings to my liking) I noticed there was like a "hollow" clicking noise when I tapped the screen. I didn't see any un-uniformly raised part of the screen. My wife and I did notice that it was more prevalent around the lower 1/3rd line on the screen, more towards the center than not, but slightly biased towards the left. When I'm slowly and gently touching the screen as far as I know there wasn't any "clicking".

Is this a known issue or is this due to the thinner screen technology? I know the iPad2 was built like a tank, but I just wanted to check before my 14 day window is up, although I know it would still fall under the 1 year warranty. I can live with it if it's the technology, but I just wanted to double check with everyone here because it caught me off guard.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
That clicking or hollow noise is because the screen glass is thinner. It you press down you can watch the glass flex as well. If it bothers you take it back. It's all a result of a thinner and lighter design.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
I really doesn't bother me, I just wanted to make sure it was normal. I figured it was because of the thin glass. Thanks for the confirmation. I am enjoying the Air a ton. It's crazy the difference just over 3 years.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I really doesn't bother me, I just wanted to make sure it was normal. I figured it was because of the thin glass. Thanks for the confirmation. I am enjoying the Air a ton. It's crazy the difference just over 3 years.

It sure is a big upgrade, eh? I also came from a 2 and as great as it was the Air is a totally different experience. And yes, the hollow clicking takes getting used to. I noticed it right away with my new Air but now actually like the light feel. I find I type lighter than ever and that's a good thing, IMO.

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
It could be the iPad's adhesive lifting on and off the edge of the device. This is pretty common for iPad 2's/3's after being exposed to heat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.