Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
If you're an old greybeard (like me) who hails from the sceptered isle (like me), then you may be interested in this KickStarter about battling grey bearded wizards from the man behind the original X-Com:

Chaos Reborn

I haven't played the original and I haven't been this excited about other games on kickstarter as with Chaos Reborn.

BACKED!:)

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Only ever been involved with 2 Kickstarter projects, and learnt a very BIG lesson, DO NOT waste your time.

It was a good idea at first the kickstarter thing now it has become a place for even developers with cash to draw in even more cash, some of the games on there will happen wether you throw your cash at them or not.

Also I really do not like the attitude of nor the way the people behind the kickstarter operate.

Sorry.

Lastly this link may help your cause more -

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rom-the-creator-of-the-original-x-co?ref=live

enComplot

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
It was a good idea at first the kickstarter thing now it has become a place for even developers with cash to draw in even more cash, some of the games on there will happen wether you throw your cash at them or not.

I am sure that is true but I know from my own experience there are plenty of actual struggling indie developers on there whose only chance at making their game is through Kickstarter. Let's not stop getting involved in those campaigns only because some cheeky big guys have moved in there as well!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

I don't disagree, but I think each Kickstarter campaign needs to be weighed on its own individual merits.

I have backed various different campaigns, after making sure I researched ( as much as I could, in like, 10-15 minutes) so I knew what I was getting into (as much as possible).

Some games would not be developed at all if initial seed money did not get it going. Some games might get developed w/o, but then the designers & dev's would have to follow the orders of a big, bad, evil, money-grubbing mega-Corp, which would rip the soul out of a game. And some had seed money, but wanted to attract more to show the initial investors the idea was worth developing more (i.e., original backer wanted just an iOS game, but designers wanted to make it for the computer/grandpa box).

That being said, I've hit my limit...I'm backing 5 games, and those will likely keep me occupied until 2019...but I'm always curious to see what the next great idea might be.

You also have to ask yourself, can I stomach uncertainty, and paying $$$ now for a game that may not be out for another 2 years.

enComplot

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
It is true that after the initial enthusiasm there is a certain saturation of the market now, I am involved in a project that is live now and we are struggling little to lift off. Many people are enthusiastic about the project but others say the same as you, and also we have yet to reach a broad enough audience to make the support massive.
Do have a look!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/encomplot/the-weird-story-of-waldemar-the-warlock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.