Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Say for instance, I have Time Machine running and at a later time want to add another hard drive(s) to increase my Mac's storage.

Can an additional drive(s) be added to the existing TM back up? Can TM then just start backing up the additional drive(s) too?

I hope this makes sense.

kastorff

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006
If you are running Mountain Lion or later, you can backup to multiple Time Machine destinations. TM alternates between them. You can't increase the capacity of a single TM volume by adding another physical drive as far as I know. If you're talking about simply adding another source volume to an existing TM volume with enough capacity, yes you can do that.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
You can migrate your existing time machine to a larger drive and continue backing up there.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Sorry for the confusion. :( What I meant is, can I add an additional hard drive(s) to the main system(Mac) that's being backed up. Not to the (actual) Time Machine back up's drive.

Will the current Time Machine back up then be able to 'back up' the main system's newly added drive drive, without having to re-run the TM back up again.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Can an additional drive(s) be added to the existing TM back up? Can TM then just start backing up the additional drive(s) too?

Yes, Time Machine can back up multiple drives on your system. External drives are excluded by default, but you can change that in Time Machine preferences. Time Machine will just start backing up the new drives. Your Time Machine disk has to be big enough to back up everything.

A.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Yes, Time Machine can back up multiple drives on your system. External drives are excluded by default, but you can change that in Time Machine preferences. Time Machine will just start backing up the new drives. Your Time Machine disk has to be big enough to back up everything.

A.

Thanks, I just changed computers, from a G5 to a 2009 Mac Mini. I was running OS 10.4.11 on the G5 and was using the back up software(WD Anywhere Backup) that came with the Western Digital external hard drive.

I'm now running OS 10.6.8 on the Mac Mini and now have Time Machine. One of the issues with the Western Digital back up software, was that if an additional source drive was added the entire back up had to be stated over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.