Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen has plans to return his hit game to the App Store, according to several interactions the app developer has had with fans. In a recent tweet discovered by Gawker, a fan asked Nguyen if he would return Flappy Bird to the App Store, and he answered "Yes. But not soon."

A second fan ran into Nguyen at the Game Developers Conference currently taking place in San Francisco, and also received confirmation that Nguyen will re-launch Flappy Bird.

flappybirdcreatorgdc.jpg
Creator of Flappy Bird found and he told me he is going to repost it to the App Store!!! pic.twitter.com/odmKbWaTw8 - Todd Moore (@toddmoore) March 19, 2014
Nguyen first hinted that he might reintroduce Flappy Bird during an interview with Rolling Stone earlier this month, where he said he was "considering" the move. In the same interview, Nguyen revealed that he pulled the app from the App Store back in February both because of the attention it was garnering and because it was overly addictive.

At the height of its popularity, Flappy Bird was earning Nguyen more than $50,000 per day, and even removed from the App Store, the game has continued to earn money. In its absence, hundreds of Flappy Bird clone apps have been released on the App Store, each one attempting to earn some of the revenue Nguyen was able to pull in.

It is unclear when Flappy Bird might make its way back to the App Store, but Nguyen has said that when he re-releases the app, it will come with a warning: "Please take a break."

Article Link: Flappy Bird to Return to the App Store

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
Thank god! This will end the insane ads on Kijiji and eBay for the ridiculous "$5,000 iPhone 4 *WITH FLAPPY BIRD*".

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Of course it will...

I'm growing tired of seeing this stupid story all the time. Wouldn't be such an issue if I didn't get MR push notifications...

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
It is unclear when Flappy Bird might make its way back to the App Store, but Nguyen has said that when he re-releases the app, it will come with a warning: "Please take a break."

You know what else we need a break from? Talking about this game.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I'm getting really tired seeing Flappy Bird on the front page of macrumors. I thought iOS Blog was where stuff about iOS is posted.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Obvious marketing move and so many idiots fell for it. Maybe he'll do something to actually make the game fun this time. Or maybe he'll repost the same thing and charge $0.99.

colem1

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Wwdc

He will likely get to make the announcement on stage at WWDC, Phil would love the attention to the App Store.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
At this point I assume even with a return, a lot of the flappy hype has gone away. If anything, the large number of "flappy" themed games ruined it for a lot of people.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Ah, I'm going to miss all those thousands of dollar ads for iPhones with Flappy Bird installed on it. I really wonder if people were actually dumb enough to pay those prices just to have it. If they did, I'd bet they certainly would not admit it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.