Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
Photostream is taking up a gigabit of space on my iPad's hard drive. I don't understand why this is. I thought on iDevices they were just in the cloud, but on a computer it saved to the hard drive. How do I free up this space?

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
No on iOS you also have a local copy. You can empty or reset the photo stream in the photo settings.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I should clarify that these are not photos taken on the iPad, but rather on my phone. I tried deleting the photos, but I got a warning saying that deleting them would delete them from Photostream forever, which I don't want. Is there a way to stop it from storing local copies of photos in iCloud on my iPad?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I should clarify that these are not photos taken on the iPad, but rather on my phone. I tried deleting the photos, but I got a warning saying that deleting them would delete them from Photostream forever, which I don't want. Is there a way to stop it from storing local copies of photos in iCloud on my iPad?

A couple ways to look at this...but remember that Photostream's purpose is to create a synced copy of your photos across all devices for backup & sharing.

Options:
1) Turn off Photostream completely on your iPad. You will lose access to all Photostreams there, including anything shared.

2) If you took the photo on your phone, there should be a copy on your camera roll so deleting the Photostream copy won't get rid of it completely, it will just be the singular copy stored on your iPhone's camera roll. Just be sure you back up photos manually just in case!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.