Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plasmo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I noticed my iPhone 5 screen popped out in the bottom left corner a few weeks ago (it has never been dropped, not sure how this happened).
It's still functional, so I didn't do anything at that time. Now, the screen is slowly popping out a little more, where it is starting to affect my round home button, making it a little loose.

I saw another thread from March with a similar problem, and people popped the glass back in with some force... I tried it (quite hard as well), but it doesn't want to pop back in.

I will have access to a 5-Point Pentalobe screwdriver next week, so will try to remove the bottom screws to see if it will pop back in easier after I do that, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.
My phone is no longer under warranty, so I can't swap it at the Apple Store without costing $$$.

I am attaching a few photos of the iphone to this thread.

Thanks

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California
I noticed my iPhone 5 screen popped out in the bottom left corner a few weeks ago (it has never been dropped, not sure how this happened).
It's still functional, so I didn't do anything at that time. Now, the screen is slowly popping out a little more, where it is starting to affect my round home button, making it a little loose.

I saw another thread from March with a similar problem, and people popped the glass back in with some force... I tried it (quite hard as well), but it doesn't want to pop back in.

I will have access to a 5-Point Pentalobe screwdriver next week, so will try to remove the bottom screws to see if it will pop back in easier after I do that, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.
My phone is no longer under warranty, so I can't swap it at the Apple Store without costing $$$.

Thanks

[url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/513/d6c4.jpg]Image[/URL]
[url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/849/a5z1.jpg]Image[/URL]
[url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/837/8noe.jpg]Image[/URL]
[url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/849/yxkm.jpg]Image[/URL]

After a closer look the plastic bezel around the glass is in place where it should be so using the pentalobe tool will do you no good. Don't try to fix it I have done it before with a couple 3gs and 3g. The glass is only popping out and where its popping out makes it look like a bloated battery the more I look at it. Even if its not under warranty take it to apple and they should replace it. I would argue about it being a health hazard if they try charging you money because it was a faulty battery.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

Thanks

[url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/513/d6c4.jpg]Image[/URL]
[url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/849/a5z1.jpg]Image[/URL]
[url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/837/8noe.jpg]Image[/URL]
[url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/849/yxkm.jpg]Image[/URL]

Wow. Thanks for the pics. Looks like the glass has popped out of the frame at the bottom end. Is this phone stock? Have you ever taken it to a repair shop or replaced the screen? I've dealt with iPhone 5/c repairs, and the replacement adhesive can be pretty weak if improperly applied.

I definitely recommend heeding the advice and taking to Apple Store, if just to see what they say or can do, and document the problem. That is a very unfortunate event. :( Sent from my iPad.

plasmo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Ugh. So it looks like it could be the battery?
Thanks for the responses.
No this phone was never opened nor refurbished.
One of the originals, bought on day 1.

I was already denied a replacement for a non-functioning top button on Month 13 at the Apple store, and so I'm not sure what they will do... But I'll go in again and show them the screen.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California
Ugh. So it looks like it could be the battery?
Thanks for the responses.
No this phone was never opened nor refurbished.
One of the originals, bought on day 1.

I was already denied a replacement for a non-functioning top button on Month 13 at the Apple store, and so I'm not sure what they will do... But I'll go in again and show them the screen.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Keep us updated I want to know what happens

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
One of the many reasons I hate the 5/5S design. The iPhone 4/4S would have never had its screen pop out.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
One of the many reasons I hate the 5/5S design. The iPhone 4/4S would have never had its screen pop out.

The 4/4s had its own set of problems. If the battery starts to bulge, take the phone in and have it repaired. It's not a good situation on any phone.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
It always amazes me the things people have happen to their phones here
You haven't seen anything. I've seen an iPhone 5S that was destroyed because a grotescly obese man sat on it. Not recognizible at all. Another one a "buddy" tried to break an iphone 5 in hald. He failed, but broke the phone enough to make it trash. I've also witnessed a grandma sit on and and bend an ipad mini like a piece of paper. I've seen it all, yet, I havent...:eek:

plasmo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I'll have some time to go next week to the Apple Store to show the people there. I'm not getting my hopes up for any good news though.

I already tried a few months ago to try to get my top Power-on button fixed (stopped working likely due to the Flex cable issue), but they couldn't swap it out because I was just over my warranty. I'm working with a Frankenphone now... hopefully it lasts for a few more months when some of the other new phones are released.

plasmo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
update: Now the phone stopped working. Can't wake up the phone with the home button or plug. Not good.

plasmo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Update2:
Took the phone to the Apple Store.
They replaced the battery and screen without question, despite being way beyond my 1 year warranty, without any charge, which obviously I was happy with. I was quite close to switching to Android if they couldn't do anything.
I guess the swollen battery issue is serious issue. Now I just have to fix my Flex Cable.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Update2:
They replaced the battery and screen without question, despite being way beyond my 1 year warranty, without any charge, which obviously I was happy with. I was quite close to switching to Android if they couldn't do anything.
I guess the swollen battery issue is serious issue. Now I just have to fix my Flex Cable.

What android has to do with this issue ?
Your unit was out of warranty, they gave you a free gift in servicing it without any charge.
And I don't know how many "android" manufacturer would do the same (if any) ....

Reactions: PBRsg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Update2:

I have to say Apple's customer support is top notch. I'm glad you got it resolved and you're able to use the phone :) Which Android phone were you considering if you were seriously contemplating switching?

plasmo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I hesitated to even put that comment into my post (regarding Android) because I knew it would create a big mess and change the focus of this thread (especially on a Apple-centered Forum), so I did NOT specifically state a model.

But anyway to @Max(IT), and others on this thread, thanks for pushing me to go show the Apple store this Bloated battery issue (I was going to wait until next week).

But yes, it did cross my mind (if Apple did not end up fixing my bloated battery issue, while my phone contract doesn't end until Sept 2014).
I think anyone would have been upset if they had a device from any brand that had become defective, especially if it was not the end-users fault. My top button is also defective (flex cable issue), which Apple would not fix unless I paid $300, when I showed this to them at 13 months after purchase, so I have have had more than one issue on the same device.

I have 11 other Apple devices in our family, so obviously it wouldn't make sense to switch. I want to see what iphone 6 has to offer before making a decision, but @maflynn if you really really really wanted to know which android device piqued my interest, it is the Oppo Find 7 that is coming out later this year.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I hesitated to even put that comment into my post (regarding Android) because I knew it would create a big mess and change the focus of this thread (especially on a Apple-centered Forum), so I did NOT specifically state a model.

But anyway to @Max(IT), and others on this thread, thanks for pushing me to go show the Apple store this Bloated battery issue (I was going to wait until next week).

But yes, it did cross my mind (if Apple did not end up fixing my bloated battery issue, while my phone contract doesn't end until Sept 2014).
I think anyone would have been upset if they had a device from any brand that had become defective, especially if it was not the end-users fault. My top button is also defective (flex cable issue), which Apple would not fix unless I paid $300, when I showed this to them at 13 months after purchase, so I have have had more than one issue on the same device.

I have 11 other Apple devices in our family, so obviously it wouldn't make sense to switch. I want to see what iphone 6 has to offer before making a decision, but @maflynn if you really really really wanted to know which android device piqued my interest, it is the Oppo Find 7 that is coming out later this year.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you! At this point, it might not be worth changing the power flex if you can ride it out a few more months, but that is up to you. Another android worth considering is the Nexus series, which I'm sure a new one will debut later this year if the 5 does not do it for you. Anyways, congrats on getting your phone serviced by Apple. :) Sent from my iPhone 5.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Update2:

Glad to hear Apple took care of it. The battery should not swell like this unless defective and good to see Apple is standing behind this even without warranty.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A phone is but a tool, and I pick the best tool to get my job done, which is why I'm curious as to what you were thinking.

I'm actually liking the Note 3 right now, though I may wait until I see what Apple does with the iPhone 6. The bottom line, its a phone, its not like I'm adopting a baby :p

If it doesn't work out, I'll sell it and get something else

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
This happened to mine and they Genius swapped it out. The battery went bad, swelled and popped out the screen. As long as your water indicators are not showing that it was wet at a point, you will most likely get a new one.

Looks like u got a bad battery that made it push your screen out.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
What android has to do with this issue ?
Your unit was out of warranty, they gave you a free gift in servicing it without any charge.
And I don't know how many "android" manufacturer would do the same (if any) ....

Actually, this being a battery issue is a health and safety issue. And company that denies repairing something like this is foolish and opens themselves for a lawsuit. While they DO NOT have to honor all defects, they absolutely do have to honor your phone not burning you or your house down because it's a couple months outside of warranty.

As to his Android comment, maybe he has been looking at Android and this would have been excuse to check it out (he would have needed a new phone anyway, right?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.