Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Hi,

So I saw this ad on my Facebook feed for a device called "automatic' (http://www.automatic.com). It seems to connect to your car and it sends data to your supported smartphone about your car. Anyone here have this device or have heard of it?

Thanks.

It just a clever way to plug into that regulated data port (ODB). The older article A brief intro to OBD-II technology might explain the port better. Many companies have been selling ODB devises but the real fun has been the explosion of smart phones.

So the real question is your own car and it's port. See your car's manual to see if it is compatible with this device/app.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hi,

So I saw this ad on my Facebook feed for a device called "automatic' (http://www.automatic.com). It seems to connect to your car and it sends data to your supported smartphone about your car. Anyone here have this device or have heard of it?

Thanks.
I have it. It's really cool.

They work under Apple'esque model of making it simple, easy, without a lot of options.

Look at their website. They have a few goals:
1. help encourage you to be a more economical driver. (irrespective of whatever the speedlimit is, simply to drive in a more economical manor)
2. track mpg trends
3. automatically mark cars location when parking
4. engine code details
5. crash alert.

If you're a hardcore nerd wanting to have dials and widgets on your phone about rpm and speed etc. Move on.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Got this yesterday since it was on sale at Best Buy for $79.99. Installation was super easy and took me <10secs. Setting up was a bit of a pain though with the whole turning on/off the car; it wouldn't detect it at times but I go through it and works well so far. And I like how it's completely hidden under the steering console.

Annoying thing is that my iPhone is connected via BT to my car and this silences any notification sound unless I'm in the "Bluetooth" section of my car. Oh well.

I have it. It's really cool.

They work under Apple'esque model of making it simple, easy, without a lot of options.

Look at their website. They have a few goals:
1. help encourage you to be a more economical driver. (irrespective of whatever the speedlimit is, simply to drive in a more economical manor)
2. track mpg trends
3. automatically mark cars location when parking
4. engine code details
5. crash alert.

If you're a hardcore nerd wanting to have dials and widgets on your phone about rpm and speed etc. Move on.

So far, I like the estimates it gives you and also how much it cost. And the car parking will help tremendously when I'm at a huge structure/lot. Regarding the Crash Alert, I don't have it yet. The forums at automatic indicate that I have to get FW updated. There's no way to force it, it's suppose to do it seamlessly in the background. So, hopefully I can get it soon.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Had this for speeding citation today, dismissed by prosecutor before even seeing judge.

Supposedly speeding on I285.

6ahe8yqy.jpg

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Had this for speeding citation today, dismissed by prosecutor before even seeing judge.

Supposedly speeding on I285.

Very interesting use! Though unfortunately it wouldn't be helpful if you were speeding in an area with a speed limit under 70 mph :p.

I've had the link since it came out and though I've had a bit of trouble with it every now and again, I think it's a pretty cool gadget to have. I love that you can run diagnostic checks when the check engine light comes on and I also like the peace of mind that if I get in a car accident, the app will call for help (provided everything is working correctly and the crash is detected).

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I ended up getting this last week since it was on sale at Best Buy. Unfortunately it had the old firmware on it and you couldn't force it to update; it supposedly does it in the background after x amount of time driving. So after owning it for about a week, it finally updated and I got the CrashAlert option. Also, seems to be more responsive and accurate.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I tried it out for a little while. I don't like to drive economically so I returned it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.