Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elrooto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Hi All,

I have been contemplating creating a thunderbolt to USB3 or PCIe prototype using breadboards (I have too much time on my hands, and a sandy bridge MBP, which has IO bottlenecks.).

However, the issue I keep running into is not being able to find datasheets for the thunderbolt controllers. I've found where I can buy them, however I just can't find where I can get the specifications so I can start tinkering with them...

Cheers,

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Hi All,

I have been contemplating creating a thunderbolt to USB3 or PCIe prototype using breadboards (I have too much time on my hands, and a sandy bridge MBP, which has IO bottlenecks.).

However, the issue I keep running into is not being able to find datasheets for the thunderbolt controllers. I've found where I can buy them, however I just can't find where I can get the specifications so I can start tinkering with them...

Cheers,

Requires NDA and license, hence no public documents posted. Not unique to Thunderbolt. This happens with most semiconductor manufacturers nowadays.

Not too easy to breadboard 10Gbps signal lines, especially with the special PCB material required, and the $100K+ scopes to assist with debug.

I'm not even tempted...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.