Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I've had my ups and downs with these things, culminating in a PNY 16G drive that loaded so slowly I thought my computer had frozen up or something. Obviously you get what you pay for... or do you? Reliability and speed reports on various USB drives seem to be all over the map.

What makes/models of (thumb) flash drive have you gotten good results from, and which ones would you recommend I avoid? I'm interested in both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 models in the 8G to 64G size range.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I use Adata exclusively. Have used them for years and never had a problem with them. Actually lost one once outside for a winter that had -40C temps and when found six months later still works as good as it did when I bought it. And now 4 years later it still works fine. More expensive than your average flash drive, but I live by the motto that you get what you pay for.

Only other ones I use are Sandisk, but that is only on the rare occasion and have never had any problems with them either.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I prefer.....

Kingston USB flash drives. Comes in various colours/desigs and wide set of features.Affordable ones too.

Maxell, PNY and HP also make good USB flash drives. I had read about Toshiba and Verbatim being not too good, but I dont know first hand....

:):apple:

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Sandisk

I too recommend Sandisk. I've used their flash drives for the last 5 years. I've just been upgrading them to get more capacity and speed. I currently have the Sandisk Extreme 64gb and am very pleased with it on all fronts.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I love Lexar.

But honestly is almost the same anything. Just pick the one that pleases you on the eyes.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My usual is Sandisk.

My new favorite is Lacie. Love the new aluminium finish especially the ones that look like keys and the rugged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.