Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ogilloire

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2014

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
only Blizzard game i have is sc2 and thats CPU bottle necked not GPU ;)
second GPU will make little change, using more than 2 CPUS will make a massive change.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Any news if Blizz is doing something with Diablo3?

Sadly no. They said some time ago they will soon drop support for earlier OS X versions due to the new OpenGL coming with Mavericks. But they haven't mentioned anything at all about OpenCL and dual GPU support.

only Blizzard game i have is sc2 and thats CPU bottle necked not GPU ;)
second GPU will make little change, using more than 2 CPUS will make a massive change.

Well, I'd like to see dual GPU support on WoW and D3 though ;)
It would definitely help, especially since the upcoming WoW expansion will have much higher detailed models, as announced.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Sadly no. They said some time ago they will soon drop support for earlier OS X versions due to the new OpenGL coming with Mavericks. But they haven't mentioned anything at all about OpenCL and dual GPU support.

Well, I'd like to see dual GPU support on WoW and D3 though ;)
It would definitely help, especially since the upcoming WoW expansion will have much higher detailed models, as announced.

Wow wouldn't benefit much from dual GPU support. On Windows the extra FPS you get out of WoW by using crossfire is abysmal. Wow is always 90% CPU bound whenever it needs more fps.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Wow wouldn't benefit much from dual GPU support. On Windows the extra FPS you get out of WoW by using crossfire is abysmal. Wow is always 90% CPU bound whenever it needs more fps.

Maybe it's an issue with WoW and crossfire - unfortunately many games don't play nice under Windows implementation of crossfire.

On the other hand, OpenCL on OS X side is a different story. It allows the application to decide which GPU does what, so unloading some of the higher-setting effects on the 2nd GPU should be a major factor to the performance. I know my iMac's 2010 gpu struggles in high settings, while the cpu is pretty comfortable.

HuntingPudel

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
California
Here's to a nice start.
Blizzard, it's your turn now.

Haha! Blizzard needs to start supporting more than 3 cores as well. :D

----------

Yes. I had confirmation from Blizz that WoW supports a maximum of 3 cores. It was explained to me by someone not from Blizz that one core does the processing, one acts as a message server, and a third does some housekeeping and environment details. WTH was Blizz thinking? :confused:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Yes. I had confirmation from Blizz that WoW supports a maximum of 3 cores. It was explained to me by someone not from Blizz that one core does the processing, one acts as a message server, and a third does some housekeeping and environment details. WTH was Blizz thinking? :confused:

Have they actually given such internal information outside ? That's interesting. I guess that explains why my CPU is comfortable when running WoW, then.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Haha! Blizzard needs to start supporting more than 3 cores as well. :D

----------

WoW is using a 12+ year old graphics/game engine..

----------

??? Take a look at: http://www.barefeats.com/tube07.html

The improvements there are not bad at all. Allthough the benefit for D3 is a lot bigger.

leon771

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Australia
2nd GPU support comes to Civilization

This title is misleading. They are just OpenCL optimisations, but single GPU only. Aspyr have stated that it is single GPU only at the moment so that everyone gets the benefits, not just those with dual GPU systems.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
This title is misleading. They are just OpenCL optimisations, but single GPU only. Aspyr have stated that it is single GPU only at the moment so that everyone gets the benefits, not just those with dual GPU systems.

Yesterday the linked web page (on aspyr.com) said "Aspyr has just released a new update for Civilization V that, among other improvements, takes advantage of the second video card in the Mac Pro." I had pasted that text straight from the web page into an IRC channel and just confirmed looking at my logs. That's what it said yesterday.

Looks like today they changed it and removed the reference to the second video card.

How weird.

HuntingPudel

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
California
Have they actually given such internal information outside ? That's interesting. I guess that explains why my CPU is comfortable when running WoW, then.

I was considering changing my processors from a pair of dual cores to quad cores, but wanted to find out from Blizz if WoW would take advantage of that. So, I asked on their Mac Forum. Their reply was that it would not because they only use 3 cores and that I need to find higher clock rate processors instead of throwing cores at it.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Maybe it's an issue with WoW and crossfire - unfortunately many games don't play nice under Windows implementation of crossfire.

On the other hand, OpenCL on OS X side is a different story. It allows the application to decide which GPU does what, so unloading some of the higher-setting effects on the 2nd GPU should be a major factor to the performance. I know my iMac's 2010 gpu struggles in high settings, while the cpu is pretty comfortable.

The CPU is comfortable because WoW cannot use more than 2 cores. So if you buy a CPU with higher single core clock speed, wow will run better with the same GPU. But of course the GPU matters as well.

----------

WoW is using a 12+ year old graphics/game engine..

----------

??? Take a look at: http://www.barefeats.com/tube07.html

The improvements there are not bad at all. Allthough the benefit for D3 is a lot bigger.

Who cares about 70 fps vs 110 fps when you are looking at an idle scene? Your monitor can only give out 60 fps to begin with. WoW's fps issues are on heavy fight scenes when there are 25+ toons moving around and doing stuff, and that's 100% CPU bound and that's where your FPS gets a huge hit and drops from 150 to 25, whatever GPU you have. And adding more and more GPU's in that case does not increase the FPS even one bit.

----------

I was considering changing my processors from a pair of dual cores to quad cores, but wanted to find out from Blizz if WoW would take advantage of that. So, I asked on their Mac Forum. Their reply was that it would not because they only use 3 cores and that I need to find higher clock rate processors instead of throwing cores at it.

They say 3 but they mean 3 major threads. I have never seen WoW use more than 170-180% CPU, that's below 2 full core loads.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
You can see the old text in the google cache of the page:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-21 at 6.36.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-21 at 6.36.07 PM.png
    519.6 KB · Views: 90

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
I tried Civ 5 out on my 5,1 MP with a 7970 card, and it seems to run much more smoothly than before. I haven't yet gotten to a mid-game where the graphics usually start blacking out and lagging.

As it turns out, buying computers requires enough work that Civ 5 habits get pushed to the back-burner... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.