Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys,

I'd like to know what some of you guys think of this and maybe how much it could be worth.

I have a white Iphone 5C, 32GB. It's also Australian stock.

There is something that we noticed about the phone that makes it different from all others. We were able to compare because my brother has the same model and colour phone.

On this phone, the mute button on the side should be completely white in colour. However, the button on this particular phone is BLUE.

How often do you get an Apple product that slips past quality control? I mean it must be the only one in the world!

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It's worth the same as every other iPhone 5C - the buttons are available aftermarket, so there is no way to prove it came that way. (Unless you happen to have a video of the first time it was opened...)

k250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
It's worth the same as every other iPhone 5C - the buttons are available aftermarket, so there is no way to prove it came that way. (Unless you happen to have a video of the first time it was opened...)

The phone is actually brand new, not activated, still inside the box, not locked to any phone network and also factory sealed. The box it comes in is also transparent, so you can see the buttons.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The phone is actually brand new, not activated, still inside the box, not locked to any phone network and also factory sealed. The box it comes in is also transparent, so you can see the buttons.

Alright then, if it's factory sealed, an "Apple Curiosities" collector might pay more than its raw value for it. eBay it, with LOTS of pictures.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Oddities like this are pretty neat.

Worth at least the retail, and will probably always remain at that.

Note: if it ever gets opened, the value will plummet as it will seem like it has been opened to be modded...

k250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I've edit my original description of the phone.
I originally said that it was the power button on the side, but of course the power button is on top.
It is actually the sliding mute button that is blue, not the power button.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Hi guys,

I'd like to know what some of you guys think of this and maybe how much it could be worth.

I have a white Iphone 5C, 32GB. It's also Australian stock.

There is something that we noticed about the phone that makes it different from all others. We were able to compare because my brother has the same model and colour phone.

On this phone, the mute button on the side should be completely white in colour. However, the button on this particular phone is BLUE.

How often do you get an Apple product that slips past quality control? I mean it must be the only one in the world!

Post picture if you have it selaed it maybe worth something

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Meh. I dunno lol.

When I had a QSG4 and it was serviced, I pushed them to replace the side panels since they were overtightened and cracked near the screws. They did, but with the wrong ones! I had the only Quicksilver power mac I know of with graphite apples.

There are some weird things out there. For example, 22" Cinema displays with DVI ports/power supplies and green/amber power lights. Those must be super rare, since they were $4500 I think. They also made a very late run of them with grey ADC cables instead of silver ones. (These also had grey apple logos instead of graphite ones)

There were also 2 versions of the pro keyboard. One had an apple on the bottom, and one didn't. And I'm talking about the black ones.

There were 4 versions of apple pro speakers too; the USB cube ones, the (matching) black set with the pro speaker jack, and 2 versions with white rubber around the cone, one with a short cable for the iMac G4s and one with a long cable for Power Mac MDDs.

This is all a bunch of random junk, point is rarity doesn't matter if nobody's looking for it. Things that people still want command higher prices. For example, DVI to ADC adapters are frequently worth more than the Cinema displays that need them. Hehe.

For a while, 802.11b airport cards were ridiculously overpriced too, because of their demand (they weren't exceedingly rare, but most Macs that had 802.11b as an option did not come with it).

One of my favorite oddball apple products is the iPod Hi-Fi. For a while those things were worth a lot - I'm amazed. They were nearly impossible to find on ebay because "iPod Hi-fi" will return a gazillion things that aren't made by Apple, and they didn't work well with most iPhones anyway.

Sorry just having fun rambling now :)

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'd love to find a white iPhone5C with a white front plate (instead of black).
That would be a curiosity of magnificent pre portions!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yep, OP you are going to need to post some pics. I'm actually curious to see this myself. Not many would/have slipped passed manufacturing let alone any quality control. From my reading and research on the various iPhones and colors they should have been on different lines and are somewhat isolated from each other color wise.

thewhitetower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Guys - go to gumtree.com.au search iPhone 5C and choose Victoria..sort by highest first and you'll find it on Page 2.

Didn't want to post a direct link here just in case I get the OP upset...but given all the internet world has access to the listing then go for it!

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
While it's cool to come across an error like this, I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay 3000 for it and just leave it in the box

k250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry, I have been busy lately and for some reason I've stopped receiving emails for this thread.

Here are the photos, sorry for the delay.

That is my ebay account in the watermark.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 75
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 119
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 89
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.