Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Uhh... did he tell anyone what the point of the watch is? I'd rather carry an MP3 player than struggle with a wristwatch to carry 12 hours of sound...

i don't think i need MS running my watch, too. Before you know it, they'll be renumbering time "The New Standard" to suit their own needs... heh...

pnw

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
I dunno if I'd get the watch, but the general concept of sending digital data on fringe FM radio frequencies sounds brilliant. So you can tune in to data the same way you do the radio or TV. Sounds kinda similar to the way my pager gets automatically updated with news headlines, weather, etc. The idea of the refrigerator magnets that show data (weather, sports scores, stock ticker) sounds silly but at the same time brilliant. FM is available everywhere, so until the years and years it will take for the country to be blanketed by Wi-Fi, I think these little FM SmartObjects will actually catch on (assuming the service is cheap or even free). I can definitely envision them in cars and around the house. I think Microsoft has actually come up with something cool and totally unexpected here.

Now let's see how they mess up the implementation...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.