Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rottweiler01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
The hard drive has failed (i have removed it and its clicking away to itself) as I get the flashing folder at start up and the optical drive failed a while ago

It's a 1.8 GHz PowerPC 970 (G5) processor

I have the original OSX Panther discs but have no way to reinstall onto the new hard drive once fitted

I can't use an external drive as they are not recognized on my G5

I have another Mac mini 2006 running Snow leopard and my daily driver is 2011 imac running mavericks

Is there anyway to reinstall panther onto the new drive using either of the other macs or do I just give up

Any advise greatly received

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Sounds like you just need a new HD. I use one of these in my Mac Pro. Fast and reliable. Much like the stock 500GB ones in the G5s

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sounds like you just need a new HD. I use one of these in my Mac Pro. Fast and reliable. Much like the stock 500GB ones in the G5s
No, he needs a new hard drive and a way to install the OS on that new drive.

OP, it's possible to boot from a USB external drive. But if you cannot boot from it because it's not recognized you can use Open Firmware to force a boot. There's a way to do it.

Just Google install OS X from USB.

Short of that, you can try Target Disk Mode and use the Mini to install OS X. But you need a version that the Mini can boot from. That would be an Intel copy of Tiger or Leopard. The retail disks are universal so installing from the Mini would be ok as your iMac would then see the PowerPC part of the install when booting. Your MIni isn't going to boot Panther of course and you can't install SL on the iMac.

If you do try TDM, you need a Firewire cable (FW400).

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
One thing you could try it to put the Mini in Target Disc Mode, put the Panther disc in it, connect it to the iMac, then boot the iMac from the Mini's optical drive.

Rottweiler01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Just Google install OS X from USB

i understand that but how do i get Panther onto the usb drive ?

My Man Mini is running snow leopard.....

I have a new hard drive already

What type of Firewire cable is needed to connect the 2 up ?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
The hard drive has failed (i have removed it and its clicking away to itself) as I get the flashing folder at start up and the optical drive failed a while ago

It's a 1.8 GHz PowerPC 970 (G5) processor

I have the original OSX Panther discs but have no way to reinstall onto the new hard drive once fitted

I can't use an external drive as they are not recognized on my G5

I have another Mac mini 2006 running Snow leopard and my daily driver is 2011 imac running mavericks

Is there anyway to reinstall panther onto the new drive using either of the other macs or do I just give up

Any advise greatly received

did the superdrive fail as well on the iMac? If not, then there's no need to go through all of that just to install the OS. Simply install the new HDD in the iMac and once you're ready to power it on again, have the disc ready.

Press "C" or "D" (I forget which one boots from the optical drive) but it will allow you to insert the disc and then try to boot again from it automatically.

I just did this with my iMac that's the same model (1.8GHz, 2 GB RAM and no iSight).

----------

The retail version of Panther won't install onto an iMac G5... you need the restore discs that came with the computer, or a Tiger disc. (It's not clear from your post which discs you have.)

Why won't the retail version of Tiger install onto an iMac G5?

I've done it with mine. The only thing you have to pay attention to is the version of the OS that there machine shipped with. In this case, the iMac G5 that the OP has was shipped with Panther, so the Tiger disc should work fine.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
C is what causes a Mac to attempt to boot from an optical drive. I've never found it to be very reliable and instead suggest people use Option then select the disc.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
C is what causes a Mac to attempt to boot from an optical drive. I've never found it to be very reliable and instead suggest people use Option then select the disc.

I would normally say that as well, but that would only work if there was bootable media found recognized in the drive during start up.

Another thing that could be done is holding down the mouse button during start up as well (I think). That could only be for ejecting a disc though.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
When using Option, the user is at least able to see if the disc is bootable and gets feedback if they did it correctly. With C, the user doesn't know if they held the button too late, the disc isn't bootable, or the C at boot doesn't work with their machine.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I didn't say that. I said that the retail Panther wouldn't work, and that you'd need a special Panther disc, or a Tiger disc.

Sorry! I'm obviously not at the correct level of coffee intake yet. I read your post a few times and every time I could have sworn that you said "Tiger." On my way to get more coffee now.

Rottweiler01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
I have 3 Panther discs, not sure if they came with it but after a live chat with Apple they said it would have shipped with Panther and that Leopard was the newest OSX I could use.

The optical drive gave up about a year ago and just spits discs out

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
If they came with the computer, they would most likely say "iMac G5 Restore Disc" or something to that effect. The retail CDs, IIRC, just have a big silver X on them.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
There black with an X on them

Do you have access to any other Mac that can install the OS on there that wouldn't require buying new discs? Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking? If you were in the Phoenix area, I could definitely take care of that machine.

Anyway, let me know if you need anything that I might be able to help you out with.

Why aren;t external drives being recognized?

----------

What are the differences ?
How do I restore with those discs ?

The differences are that the original restore discs are usually gray discs. The retail versions were black with a gray x on them. The important thing to look for is the OS version on the disc.

If your Mac Mini is a core solo or core duo, then if the version says 10.4.7 or above, then you're good since the core solo Mac Mini shipped with 10.4.5 and the core duo shipped with 10.4.7.

If it's anything lower than 10.4.5 or 10.4.7 for whichever machine you have, then you would have to buy a new disc. If it's the right version for your machine, then you will need the FW cable and from there it's pretty easy to instal OS X through TDM.

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
What are the differences ?
How do I restore with those discs ?
The gray restore discs have a customized version of the OS for that computer on them. In general, Macs cannot boot any version of the OS that came out before the computer itself, so they ship with a custom (or later) version to get around that.

Rottweiler01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Ok, my mini is a 2006 core dual that I have upgraded to core2 dual currently running snow leopard

Imac 27" is running Mavericks

Broken 20" imac G5 non iSight

So if I connect mini to broken imac via FireWire and use TDM and pop the Panther discs into the mini can I install panther onto the broken imac that way

Why aren;t external drives being recognized?

They were when it was working but not external DVD drive, I don't think you can install panthers via USB flash drives

Rottweiler01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
These are the discs I have

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Ok, my mini is a 2006 core dual that I have upgraded to core2 dual currently running snow leopard

Imac 27" is running Mavericks

Broken 20" imac G5 non iSight

So if I connect mini to broken imac via FireWire and use TDM and pop the Panther discs into the mini can I install panther onto the broken imac that way

They were when it was working but not external DVD drive, I don't think you can install panthers via USB flash drives

Correct

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.