Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneczech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Hi,

I'm a Maya user on Mac Pro Early 2018 2 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

My graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB, SO SLOW

I would like to take some time before considering the new Mac Pro, but until then, i would like to update the graphics card in my old Mac Pro.

I was recommended to get ATI Radeon HD 5870. I have seen threads here in the forum where people got this card too. Yet it was several years ago.

So I would like to ask around if there may be a stronger choice and still capable of running on my old Mac, or just a confirmation that ATI Radeon HD 5870 is the only way to go with an upgrade.

Thank you

oneczech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Thank you for the link.

My problem is related to Mac Pro version Early 2008. The TOP up-to-date cards do not work in such an old machine.

So I'm looking for a card that is the fastest possible running on my system. Chances are that the ATI Radeon HD 5870 is the only choice for such an old system ???

stjames70

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
Seriously?

There have been literally at least 100 posts in regard to upgrading the 3,1 MP you have. And the answer is simply yes, yes you can. You can plop in the latest gen NVIDIA card and it will work in that machine under Mavericks. You may not get a boot screen, but the machine will boot up and it will work. I had a GTX Titan with a flashed ROM added, and it gives me a boot screen, works like a charm and it holds me back from upgrading to the latest nMP since I can't find a reason to.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi,

I'm a Maya user on Mac Pro Early 2018 2 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

My graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB, SO SLOW

I would like to take some time before considering the new Mac Pro, but until then, i would like to update the graphics card in my old Mac Pro.

I was recommended to get ATI Radeon HD 5870. I have seen threads here in the forum where people got this card too. Yet it was several years ago.

So I would like to ask around if there may be a stronger choice and still capable of running on my old Mac, or just a confirmation that ATI Radeon HD 5870 is the only way to go with an upgrade.

Thank you

As another option to the 5870HD, you can check out the Nvidia 4000 Quadro with 2G Vram. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/0...-nvidias-sole-mac-offering-a-promising-start/

This card isn't new and its single slot and consumes less power at around 160w if I am not mistaken. Brand new price is still expensive though for used second hand, they sell from $360 to $450. As far as I know, these Quadro cards are made as "workstation cards" and not a gaming card specially for 3D work. More for accuracy and not on high frame rates per second. Compatible with 2008 Mac Pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.