Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple in Talks for On-Demand Streaming Music Service, Considering Android iTunes App

Apple is considering launching an on-demand streaming service similar to Spotify in light of declining music sales, reports Billboard. The service would be part of a multi-prong strategy that may also include an iTunes app for Android.
Quote:
Apple has opened exploratory talks with senior label executives about the possibility of launching an on-demand streaming service that would rival Spotify and Beats Music, according to three people familiar with the talks. Apple is also thinking about adding an iTunes App for Android phones, the Google rival that has been growing faster than the iPhone, these sources said.
In January, it was reported that music sales had declined for the first time since the iTunes Store opened 2003, with individual song downloads falling 5.7 percent from 1.34 billion units sold to 1.26 billion, and digital album sales dropping to 117.6 million units from 117.7 million units.

In recent months, Apple has attempted to lure more customers with exclusive album releases, such as Beyoncé's fifth album, released first on iTunes, and has been pushing record companies for additional deals of that nature.

Album sales have remained down, however, as streaming services have risen in popularity, prompting Apple to explore other options as well. A March report from the RIAA indicated Spotify, Pandora, and YouTube had generated $1.4 billion in subscription, advertising, and licensing revenues in the U.S. in 2013, a 39 percent increase from 2012.

Apple introduced its iTunes Radio streaming music service last year, but it is station-based like Pandora, limiting how many songs users can choose for themselves. An iTunes service similar to Spotify or Beats Music would allow listeners to pick and choose all of their content, which could potentially be accessed on other non-Apple platforms like Android.
Quote:
"They are feeling out some people at labels on thoughts about transitioning its customers from iTunes proper to a streaming service," says one major label source. "So when you buy a song for $1.29, and you put it in your library, iTunes might send an e-mail pointing out that for a total of, say, $8 a month you can access that song plus all the music in the iTunes store. It's all in the 'what if stage."
Apple's talks with record labels about a possible expansion of iTunes Radio into a full-fledged music streaming service are still in the early stages, and the company has declined to comment.

Article Link: Apple in Talks for On-Demand Streaming Music Service, Considering Android iTunes App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Sky Blue

Spotify like service would be great, don't get a lot of use out of iTunes Radio as it is.
Sky Blue is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Yogomi
macrumors member

Enough with the streaming music services. We need a streaming television service that includes AMC, Comedy Central, the likes and premium offerings similar to HBOGO.

-Y.
Yogomi is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:04 PM   #4
bushido
macrumors 603

sounds great i hate those radio kind of things as they never play what i want and id rather make my own playlists. spotify in the meantime has turned me into a legal music customer
bushido is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:06 PM   #5
atticus27
macrumors regular

google play music app is awesome on android. I can cache 20 gb's of music at around 2-3 on my phone to conserve space.
iTunes on android would be a smart move, but the music play store has really good prices. They'll have new albums for $5. I doubt most people will use it, with the price difference
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

I would love to have an iTunes music streaming service
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:08 PM   #7
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

I'm already using google music on my iOS and Android devices. I'm not sure I have a good reason to go the other way.
T5BRICK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

I still think there's something to be said for owning copies of particular music tunes. Those streaming services are more like rentals.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Nalmond92
macrumors regular

I do still like owning my content.

Though would be great if it was incorporated into iTunes Match. £21.99 for all my music in the cloud and ad less spotify experience with iTunes catalogue. Charge me £50 to access TV shows and movies
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:10 PM   #10
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

iTunes on Android would be great. I assume old DRM protected music that currently only plays on Apple devices would then play on an Android phone?
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:11 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

"iOS SUCKS, APPLE SUCKS, iOS USERS SUCK...

OMG, ITUNES FOR ANDROID?! YESSS!!!!!"

Excuse me while I go laugh.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:13 PM   #12
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

"iOS SUCKS, APPLE SUCKS, iOS USERS SUCK...

OMG, ITUNES FOR ANDROID?! YESSS!!!!!"

3.5" is perfect! No, now 4" is perfect! Wait, 4.7" or 5.5" is very nice. Apple always innovates in mobile device sizes!

stuffradio is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:14 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
3.5" is perfect! No, now 4" is perfect! Wait, 4.7" or 5.5" is very nice. Apple always innovates in mobile device sizes!

Not the point I'm trying to make.

The same people who criticize Apple for everything, who refuse to use Apple products, who throw names at those who use iOS and/or Macs, are going to turn right around and become Apple customers.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Gigaman
macrumors regular

Quote:

Lol no one said 4 inches was perfect or that Apple innovates in screen sizes. Ever.

Last edited by OllyW; Mar 22, 2014 at 03:55 AM. Reason: name calling
Gigaman is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:18 PM   #15
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Considering hell froze over once before, in 2003, I suppose it could happen.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:19 PM   #16
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigaman View Post
Lol no one said 4 inches was perfect or that Apple innovates in screen sizes. Ever.
Go read all the threads about Apple making a 4.7 or 5.5" device. If you read lots of pages, you'll see several people saying they think 4" is perfect. I'm also using a Mac as my only computer.

Last edited by OllyW; Mar 22, 2014 at 03:56 AM. Reason: response to deleted content
stuffradio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:20 PM   #17
Gigaman
macrumors regular

I'd say "meh" for the streaming on demand service. What's interesting is iTunes on android. It's kinda like pulling a Microsoft office on iOS.

But if Apple does send it over to android, they should pull a google and strip most features/functions like google's done on iOS hehe..
Gigaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:20 PM   #18
topmounter
macrumors 68000

I'm happy as long as Apple doesn't buy Spotify.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:22 PM   #19
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogomi View Post
Enough with the streaming music services. We need a streaming television service that includes AMC, Comedy Central, the likes and premium offerings similar to HBOGO.

-Y.
Says you! In Canada, we don't have Spotify, Pandora, or iTunes Radio.
SJism23 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:22 PM   #20
Gigaman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Go read all the threads about Apple making a 4.7 or 5.5" device. If you read lots of pages, you'll see several people saying they think 4" is perfect. I'm also using a Mac as my only computer.
What does using a Mac have to do with anything??? Anyone can say anything; Steve jobs said 3.5 inches was perfect and that's what made that size significant . You've failed again.

Last edited by OllyW; Mar 22, 2014 at 03:57 AM. Reason: clean up to quoted post
Gigaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:22 PM   #21
UWF404
macrumors regular

They should buy Spotify. I feel like iTunes UI has gone to hell over the years. I think Apple would benefit from Spotify
UWF404 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:25 PM   #22
joelisfar
macrumors member

I'm pretty much an all-Rdio all-the-time kind of guy, but if Apple made a similar service with a similar price I'd switch in a heartbeat.
joelisfar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:27 PM   #23
screensaver400
macrumors 6502a

Apple released iTunes for Windows to sell iPods to Windows users. The iTunes Store has never been a meaningful business on its own---it's always existed to sell Apple hardware.

I doubt Apple is seriously considering iTunes for Android, because it would completely undermine the whole point of iTunes. More likely is that a music executive proposed the idea in negotiations, and Apple agreed to consider it. If Apple does release iTunes for Android, it will signal a major strategy shift: away from hardware, and toward services.
screensaver400 is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:31 PM   #24
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Spotify works well for me for bulk casual listening.

For the music I really love - vinyl.
Macist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:32 PM   #25
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
if apple brought imessage over, i'd be happy.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion