Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdonaldisaac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
I found this website UpgradeSwap that sells used iPhones and they're cheaper than what I find on eBay or Swappa. From the looks of it the website handles all the selling so I'm hoping I would get a quality product each time.

Do you guys think they're safe to use? I looked around on their site and they only accept PayPal and you have to be PayPal verified.

They're on reseller ratings and have a 5 star review so that helps me feel a little better.

I'd like a new phone so hopefully anyone with some insight can help.

Thanks.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If it's through paypal verified, I wouldn't worry about trying it. Buy the item, VIDEO TAPE yourself opening the box (make sure it is clear with shipping labels and all), and look it over while on camera. If it's not what you expected to receive, you have a virtually bullet-proof case.

mcdonaldisaac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
If it's through paypal verified, I wouldn't worry about trying it. Buy the item, VIDEO TAPE yourself opening the box (make sure it is clear with shipping labels and all), and look it over while on camera. If it's not what you expected to receive, you have a virtually bullet-proof case.

Ok so PayPal verified will help cover me in case something goes wrong right?

That's a good idea. Were you scammed before and that is what you started doing to prevent you from being scammed again?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

And if it does all work out, you can join the unboxing video craze on YouTube ;-)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Ok so PayPal verified will help cover me in case something goes wrong right?

That's a good idea. Were you scammed before and that is what you started doing to prevent you from being scammed again?

Sorry for the late response. I was scammed trying to sell on eBay back with a 3GS. I sold a legit 3GS to a legit address within the US. Seller claimed I shipped an empty box. At the time I was a new seller and didn't even have ten feedbacks to my name. They essentially sided with the buyer who had 246. Yes, I remember the details. I was furious...

I have sold electronics quite frequently before and now video tape myself packaging them up, affixing the label, etc. I have had to use this ONCE where a person tried to claim the product arrived damaged due to poor packaging.

Anyway, making the video will give paypal ZERO real options to deny your claim, should it go south.

----------

And if it does all work out, you can join the unboxing video craze on YouTube ;-)

LOL... yeah. I never understood this. I can understand doing an unboxing if you get the product in your hads weeks before it actually hits shelves. Why hundreds of people decide to all do their own is bbeyond me!

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014

And here I was thinking I was the only one who did that :D

You are a smart, smart man Lord of the Reef.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.