Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingz10fan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
Hi Everyone! So as the title states I will be replacing my 2006 13" Macbook. This computer has been great but it's time for an upgrade. I'm looking at the 13" Retina Mac Pro.

I don't do anything to crazy with video editing or gaming so I was wondering your opinions on the options I should get...

Looking at the 256 GB HD

Is there a big difference between the 8GB RAM v. 16GB? I plan on this machine lasting me a long time so would it be worth it to max out the RAM?

Same question with the processor here. Is it worth it to max it out? I don't mind spending the extra cash since I've been saving for this for a little while now.

Thanks for any advice you all have!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Given you've used that machine for 8 years I would say max it out specs wise for longevity

kingz10fan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
I was leaning that way. If you could only max 2 of the 3 which are most important? HD and RAM? RAM and Processor?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
HD and RAM. HDs continue to fill up over time, and RAM is not user-upgradable on that model, so max those. Doesn't sound like you'd need an i7, and the performance difference between the 2.6 and 2.8MHz i5s is not that great.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I was leaning that way. If you could only max 2 of the 3 which are most important? HD and RAM? RAM and Processor?

As the poster above mentioned, HD and RAM. It's worth noting that with the PCI-e SSDs, they work in parallel. This basically means that the bigger the SSD, the quicker the Read/Write speeds -- so getting a bigger hard-drive doesn't only benefit you with space, but also with performance.

You'll be looking at 1GB/s r&w if you've got a 1TB in there, and around 700MB/s if you're getting 512GB.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Given that you may wish to keep the computer for quite some time, it makes sense to ry to future proof it as much as possible.

With that in mind, I, too, would recommend focussing on the RAM - get at least 8 GB RAM (16, indeed, if it is available) and as much hard drive storage as you can afford on the SSD drive; 256 GB SSD will be fine, but 512 would be even better. I agree with those who have already posted that the core speed is not as important as the other two features.

Congratulations, by the way, on the fact that you are still using (and succeeding in so doing) a 2006 MacBook; which just goes to show, that if it meets your needs, and is well looked after, a MB can indeed give sterling service for many a long year.

kingz10fan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks for all the replies! And yes it's true, Take care of that Mac and it will take care of you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.