Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Guys,

I have 50mbps internet with Comcast and I get 50-53mbps on my MacBook Pro via WiFi. Sat In the same spot I only get 20-25mbps on my iPhone 5s?

I can get 50mbps on LTE but not on my WiFi?

Anyone know the reason of this?

Matt

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Guys,

I have 50mbps internet with Comcast and I get 50-53mbps on my MacBook Pro via WiFi. Sat In the same spot I only get 20-25mbps on my iPhone 5s?

Matt

Not sure of the reason, but the same thing happens to my iPhone 5. I have just learned to live with it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The specs for the chip used in the ip5 are..

1x1:1 MIMO (1 Spatial Stream)
40 MHz wide channels (in the 5 GHz bands only)
150 Mbps max data rate
Bluetooth 4.0 (supports switching to Wi-Fi for bulk data transfer)
Supports optional 11n features, including STBC (space-time block coding) and LDPC (low-density parity check) for improved range and reliability

The 5s chip is a newer revision of that chip with 2x mimo support but that's unused according to everything I'm reading

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Guys,

Matt

There are many factors that influence speed. Home connection is 120/40. My 5s is able to test in ideal situations 101/30 or thereabouts.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I hope the question is only of interest, and not a complaint.

Can not imagine any reason to need such speed on a computer, and for sure not on a phone.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'm not sure what your problem is but you can try and hold the home and sleep button until you see the apple logo but I don't think it will help. But it's worth a try.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Guys,

Matt

Are you using 5 GHz WiFI? If your not thats the reason why.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Can not imagine any reason to need such speed on a computer, and for sure not on a phone.

You can't imagine why someone would want download speeds maxed on a computer?

I can think of dozens of reasons especially in a day in age where iMacs don't come with optical drives and software/updates/etc can be 10+ gb.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I just came in wondering the same thing but not only about my iPhone 5, but my mid 2010 MacBook Pro. It's completely updated, I have a wireless N router and a 100 Mbps connection that seems only my budget level Acer laptop can reach. My Acer is only slightly newer but still pales in comparison to my MBP.

My iPad, iPhone 5, and my 13" MBP (the last Core 2 Duo model with the Nvidia 320M). My cheap Acer that I'd rather carry around to surf and goof off on is the only one that can break the limits of my Apple products across the board unless directly connected to a open Cat5 connector on the provided Docsys 3.0 wireless gateway provided by Comcast/xfinity.

My cheap Acer Windows notebook shows the proper speeds I should be getting but between my iOS devices and my MBP, it just doesn't make any sense at all.

My iPhone 5 reaches around 60 Mbps and had been thinking if throughput was upgraded on the 5S. My iPad 2 has somewhat similar performance.

Much to my annoyance as distance from the wireless gateway is around eight feet away or less depending where I hit the Lazy Boy (I had gotten this new gateway since my old D-link was causing a bottleneck)

A promotional email from Comcast had told me that they had doubled my speed from 50 to over 100 Megabits and I was shocked at my Mac let alone my iPhone 5 had shown no improvement but the update was there as it worked very well with my Acer laptop that all were tested using Firefox on Mac OS X and Windows 7 Home Premium. My iPhone 5 should reach those speeds I would assume along with my iPad 2 (older 64GB model) and even a Galaxy Tab 3 running Android Jelly Bean.

Comcast has tested my modem and sent some oddities to it for it to restart completely. Still, I just don't get it. on the flip side, my upload speeds are awful, barely reaching over ten Mbps on any device.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
As file sizes increase so does the want of faster connections. Imagine trying to browse today's internet at the connection speeds we had 15 years ago.

File sizes have not risen to the point where 50 Mbps is even close to being a necessity.

To put this in perspective, if one has 64GB device, downloading at 50 Mbps would allow you to entirely fill the storage capacity in about 20 minutes.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I just came in wondering the same thing but not only about my iPhone 5, but my mid 2010 MacBook Pro. It's completely updated, I have a wireless N router and a 100 Mbps connection that seems only my budget level Acer laptop can reach. My Acer is only slightly newer but still pales in comparison to my MBP.

My iPad, iPhone 5, and my 13" MBP (the last Core 2 Duo model with the Nvidia 320M). My cheap Acer that I'd rather carry around to surf and goof off on is the only one that can break the limits of my Apple products across the board unless directly connected to a open Cat5 connector on the provided Docsys 3.0 wireless gateway provided by Comcast/xfinity.

My cheap Acer Windows notebook shows the proper speeds I should be getting but between my iOS devices and my MBP, it just doesn't make any sense at all.

My iPhone 5 reaches around 60 Mbps and had been thinking if throughput was upgraded on the 5S. My iPad 2 has somewhat similar performance.

Much to my annoyance as distance from the wireless gateway is around eight feet away or less depending where I hit the Lazy Boy (I had gotten this new gateway since my old D-link was causing a bottleneck)

A promotional email from Comcast had told me that they had doubled my speed from 50 to over 100 Megabits and I was shocked at my Mac let alone my iPhone 5 had shown no improvement but the update was there as it worked very well with my Acer laptop that all were tested using Firefox on Mac OS X and Windows 7 Home Premium. My iPhone 5 should reach those speeds I would assume along with my iPad 2 (older 64GB model) and even a Galaxy Tab 3 running Android Jelly Bean.

Comcast has tested my modem and sent some oddities to it for it to restart completely. Still, I just don't get it. on the flip side, my upload speeds are awful, barely reaching over ten Mbps on any device.

Could be router configuration or channel interference or range through concrete, electrical interference and the like.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010

I am with you on this. Can not imagine needing to download anything to my phone that would need this sort of speed. Would be nice from time to time, but...wow.

And, it each their own. If you need it, you need it.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Guys,

Matt
What is your router? What protocol does it support?...nevermind.

If your router is in G/N compatibility mode, you could have a device on your network pulling you down to 802.11G 56mbps link rate. With a real throughput of about ~30mbps. (most likely your bottleneck).

First, set your router to strictly. 802.11 N only mode.

iPhone 5/5S supports:
802.11 N 2.4ghz, 72mbps link rate, ~40mbps real world speed.
And
802.11 N 5ghz, 150mbps link rate, ~80mbps real world speed.

Therefore; second, set your iPhone to connect to your 5GHz SSID.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This is what an iPhone 5 does on my fathers fiber network.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408815751.096386.jpg

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
File sizes have not risen to the point where 50 Mbps is even close to being a necessity.

To put this in perspective, if one has 64GB device, downloading at 50 Mbps would allow you to entirely fill the storage capacity in about 20 minutes.

A 50Mbps connection would only download at approximately 6.25MBps, so about 375MB per minute, which isn't even close to filling up a 64GB device in 20 minutes.

Now a 50MBps connection would. But to put that into perspective, most ISP's sell you an internet connection in Mbps, so to get 50MBps download speed, you would need a 400Mbps connection.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
A 50Mbps connection would only download at approximately 6.25MBps, so about 375MB per minute, which isn't even close to filling up a 64GB device in 20 minutes.

Now a 50MBps connection would. But to put that into perspective, most ISP's sell you an internet connection in Mbps, so to get 50MBps download speed, you would need a 400Mbps connection.
My mistake. Apparently I misunderstood the units.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Could be router configuration or channel interference or range through concrete, electrical interference and the like.

Nope, not in the same room with the wireless base station.

Just ran a test now at peak internet traffic time in the Silicon Valley.

3709508266.png

ran the same test with my iPhone 5 and couldn't break 30.

Last edited:

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
This is the speed my 5S pulls.

Nice! I wonder if the I/O of the iPhone 5S was changed from the late model iPhone 5 where LTE really is a huge leap.

Especially being on T-Mobile where I had gotten my iPhone 5. Indoors with only two "dots" out of five, I've been able to pull 30 Mbps. Plenty to pull HD content from Netflix.

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2014
i have the same problem, 50 mbps down, cant even brake 1 mbps down on iphone 5 yet, 15mbps upload. is it my 2.4 router?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Nope, not in the same room with the wireless base station.

Just ran a test now at peak internet traffic time in the Silicon Valley.

ran the same test with my iPhone 5 and couldn't break 30.

See post #15 and #16 above... With a older iPhone 5.

Diesel350

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
I'm getting Wifi speeds of 58 Mbps on my Iphone 5s through my Airport Extreme being used in bridge mode with my Verizon ActionTec Router.

I'm assuming your Wifi speed will be capped by what kind of Internet speed you are paying for, correct?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.