Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I spend much of my work day in Office 2011. While I thought it was a big improvement over 2008 when it was released, it's always been very slow, rather buggy, and with a poor interface (tabs AND toolbars?!)

Yes and unfortunately, MS Office is necessary for some of us, and there is just no replacement for the power of Excel.

I've been playing with the new release of MS OneNote and I like the new interface. It's cleaner than Office 2011, but not as stark as Office 2013 for Windows. I really hope that MS is using OneNote as a template for the rest of Office 2014.

If MS cleans up the rest of Office and improves performance, they may have a winner on their hands (for those of us who need it).

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I also hope it's a great upgrade, and arrives SOON! Seems like most people are far more interested in Office for iPad though.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I also hope it's a great upgrade, and arrives SOON! Seems like most people are far more interested in Office for iPad though.

Well, iOS and tablets are in and computers are out...It's a superficial world we are living, even in technology. Nobody bothers about quality or having more capabilities, at the cost of a less intuitive interface. Tablets are much easier to use, but this comes at the cost of having many restrictions..
Office for the iPad leaves me totally cold. I am much more interested in OS X..

porthole2

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2014
I hope it is better. I tried Office 365 and hated the outlook interface enough to cancel in the first month.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I spend much of my work day in Office 2011. While I thought it was a big improvement over 2008 when it was released, it's always been very slow, rather buggy, and with a poor interface (tabs AND toolbars?!)

Yes and unfortunately, MS Office is necessary for some of us, and there is just no replacement for the power of Excel.

I've been playing with the new release of MS OneNote and I like the new interface. It's cleaner than Office 2011, but not as stark as Office 2013 for Windows. I really hope that MS is using OneNote as a template for the rest of Office 2014.

If MS cleans up the rest of Office and improves performance, they may have a winner on their hands (for those of us who need it).

Many of us use the power of Office as a whole. Why should something as basic as subscripts and superscripts be buried deep in the bowels of a menu in Pages? I understand the new version of Pages is designed with simplicity and a new UI in mind, but seriously?

I am a student and regularly use Word for writing papers and essays, Pages 5 for normal homework, and finally Pages 09 for flyers and such. Makes for a good set of programs! If I had to choose one, it would be Word though.

Since Microsoft now offers Office online for free with any OneDrive account, I could easily see the attraction over Google Docs/Drive. For one, Office Online uses .doc and .docx files so it is easy to open locally.

We are moving away from local anything and onto the cloud. I will however continue to use local software until the day that the only thing I can buy is a Chromebook or iPad.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
The only iWork app I've spent a lot of time with is Numbers and I've found it very inadequate for serious business work. Word and PowerPoint are fine for my needs. My company shares documents constantly, so working in native Office formats is very helpful.

I'm not a MS hater, just looking forward to an update. One that I hope makes Office faster, stable and updates/streamlines the interface.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.