Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Two MacBooks with Airplay. Older MacBook has itself and the newer MacBook in the AirDrop window, but the new MacBook only has itself and not the older MacBook in the AirDrop list.

For some reason the AirDrop window of the newer MacBook doesn't show the older MacBook.

Any ideas?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Your older MacBook might not fully support Airdrop. This hint might help:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/16/enable-airdrop-ethernet-and-unsupported-macs/
Hi

I'm already doing that.

Plus, Im already using AirDrop and seeing the new MacBook on my older MacBook.

So AirDrop is working the way it should on my older MacBook. But for some reason AirDrop on the newer MacBook isn't seeing the older MAcBook.

I guess enabling AirDrop on the older MacBook using Terminal DOES enable AirDrop BUT it still doesn't get recognized by newer MAcBooks. Which is weird because even the hack should work.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Hi

I guess enabling AirDrop on the older MacBook using Terminal DOES enable AirDrop BUT it still doesn't get recognized by newer MAcBooks. Which is weird because even the hack should work.

If I remember correctly I think you need to run same command on the the newer machine too?

Basically you're widening airDrops scope of acceptable connections to allow it to work on the older machine, so the newer machine wont recognise it if its still only looking airDrop peers that adhere to the expected default standard.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.