Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
I think it's safe to say that the future of computing will be in tablets, and as we have seen since 2010, the iPad is getting more and more useful for everyday tasks. Whilst today, I wouldn't dare say it can take over mainstream computers for everyone, as it lacks power and functionality of a file system (and many other things..), I would go as far to say that it will * someday * be our main computers, doing all tasks from design, to databases, to hardcore gaming and everything in between..

My question to the forum is, when?

Obviously, no one knows, but with some discussion, could be conclude on a realistic and potential year?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
For some people they already are.They will never completely replace desktops as some things are just unintuitive on a tablet, but it's already started for some people as tablets offer enough power for the average person.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
I do not think they will actually replace computers completely but they have taken over a lot of tasks that people once used computers for.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Probably never for me. I like building my own hardware. And having a large screen.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Jean-Luc knows... a detachable saucer section.

Functions as a regular notebook/laptop when screen is attached. Remove screen and the iOS (or equivalent) kicks in. Obviously there would be cost implications to combining a headless laptop and a tablet, but I don't think there would be major 'packaging' issues, even today.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
They won't for me. I have an iPad and it's nice, but it won't be replacing my MBA or desktop anytime in the foreseeable future.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
For many the ipad is but I can honestly say the 12" note is a desktop replacement as the extra functionality android adds can close the boarder between tablet and notebook

SandPebble

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
For me, not in my lifetime. I do use a tablet for some tasks, such as following a recipe. But for hardcore tasks, I must have a good physical keyboard.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Until I can have multiple large monitors hooked up to it, never.

I would love something that was powerful enough to run a full desktop-style OS and applications, and hook up to all the peripherals, but could also be pulled from its dock and used as a small tablet. Maybe one day, but not soon.

Renzatic

Suspended
For me, not in my lifetime. I do use a tablet for some tasks, such as following a recipe. But for hardcore tasks, I must have a good physical keyboard.

You can always buy a bluetooth keyboard for the iPad. I did, and I love it.

I won't say I'll never use an iPad as my main computer, but it isn't happening for the foreseeable future. I love the form factor, and I can see tons of potential for it, but right now, it doesn't do everything I want it to do. For now though, it works as a great fun-time/light-task computer.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
It already is for the Facebook Generation.

My grandchildren use it for everything.

Last edited:

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I doubt it as OS X would suck with just a touch screen, and there wouldn't be any real advantage over a regular iPad.
I meant that a keyboard would be used while OS Xing.

I can't see how any iOS device can function as one's 'main computer', even with the addition of a physical keyboard. Would need at least an 'iOS Pro' or 'OS X Lite' operating system, but even then I can't envisage anything other than frustration when trading down from full OS X.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I can't see how any iOS device can function as one's 'main computer', even with the addition of a physical keyboard.

The average person just uses their computer for Facebook and basic web browsing, and maybe writing the occasional document which an iPad is perfect for.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I think we can all agree that the ipad has become a necessity to our daily lives and that it has become a primary device. We can easily and quickly do web searches, play games and more. I think what restricts the ipad from being our main commputor is that it is limited in essential features that many of us must use every day whether it is for work or school. Some of these features the ipad lacks are *full* microsoft office support (which im sure that the new office for ipad will still be limited), Adobe Flash, a mouse (needed to much more easily accomplish tasks), true multitasking, and lots more.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Not anytime soon for the majority of people. This message board is just a very small part of the total population and skewed.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I think it's safe to say that the future of computing will be in tablets, and as we have seen since 2010, the iPad is getting more and more useful for everyday tasks.

With the exception of no longer having to back up to a home computer--there really has be no extension of ipad functionality since its introduction. Obviously apple could remake the situation anytime with an ios overhaul--but its not really where they seem to be taking the product so far. Right now--its a big smart phone--and thats pretty useful

I have a surface and love it. But its really a touch screen laptop with a pen interface. I prefer the simplity of the ipad for simple web reading, etc. I dont see the advantage of getting by with a single device

Last edited:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
If apple made an OS X tablet with an i5/i7 and a good stylus, I'd totally buy it. So far my surface pro has been awesome, so I could see myself going with that. If they made a 15" version they'd probably put Wacom out of business lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.