Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I have an iPad Mini with Lightning connector (MD542X, iPad2,7)
I would really like to be able to get audio from a microphone into this iPad but I’ll be pickled if I can work out how.
I’ve read so many different stories about how to do it that I’ve no idea what is the easiest way.
Can someone who has actually achieved this tell me the best way to go about it?
Ideally I’d just like some sort of adapter that would allow me to plug in various mics that all have a 3.5mm plug.
Help greatly appreciated. :eek:

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Watch this Youtube video. It should put you in the right direction.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gysh_GYVYw0

Thanks Rodster, I do already have a camera adapter so I'm part of the way there... what I imagine I need then is a male usb to female 3.5mm adapter so I can use my existing mics.
Any suggestions on where to find such a lead?
All the stuff I saw when I searched came back to dodgy looking $3 stuff from China on eBay.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thanks Rodster, I do already have a camera adapter so I'm part of the way there... what I imagine I need then is a male usb to female 3.5mm adapter so I can use my existing mics.
Any suggestions on where to find such a lead?
All the stuff I saw when I searched came back to dodgy looking $3 stuff from China on eBay.

No idea m8. You could try emailing the Youtube poster to see where he bought his from.

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
No idea m8. You could try emailing the Youtube poster to see where he bought his from.

Taa, I'm pretty sure the Yeti mics are actually USB so he wouldn't have used an adapter but where that vid was useful was to see that you can get audio in through the camera adapter because I've read conflicting advice about that.
Okay, I'll keep hunting & see what I can find.
I'm baffled as to why Apple don't just make such obvious things easy... :confused:

RNRage

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
You can use an audio interface.. That's what I do to run all of my guitar amp apps.. Some of them have XLR inputs on them. I'm using a TASCAM iXZ. It uses the 1/8" headphone/line-in. The interface itself has a headphone output that I'll either use with headphones or hook up to studio monitors. I prefer that kind of connection because it allows me to keep my iPad on charge. Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.