Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcemin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Hi guys!

I'm visiting Canada so I decided to get a MBP here, since the prices are much, much lower than in my home country.

I was 100% sure I'd get the 2.4 GHz / 16 GB RAM / 256 GB SSD.
The problem is the Apple Store only sells the basic configurations, and only Canadians can purchase online (which I didn't know :()

I'm so frustrated right now, but I still have two options:

2.4 GHz / 8 GB RAM / 256 GB SSD - $1549

OR

2.6 GHz / 8 GB RAM / 512 GB SSD - $1849

My question is: is the $300 difference worth it? Will the better SSD and processor make up for the RAM I couldn't get? I mean, I was going to get 16 GB to "future-proof" the Mac.

I'm a student, so I'd use it for basic stuff such as web browsing, watching movies and doing college work (mainly Office stuff).

Thank you very much and sorry for my english :eek:

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I'd get the 2.4 and save the $300 unless you needed more storage space right now. Otherwise, if in the future you require more space you can always upgrade it yourself.

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Hi guys!

I'm visiting Canada so I decided to get a MBP here, since the prices are much, much lower than in my home country.

I was 100% sure I'd get the 2.4 GHz / 16 GB RAM / 256 GB SSD.
The problem is the Apple Store only sells the basic configurations, and only Canadians can purchase online (which I didn't know :()

I'm so frustrated right now, but I still have two options:

2.4 GHz / 8 GB RAM / 256 GB SSD - $1549

OR

2.6 GHz / 8 GB RAM / 512 GB SSD - $1849

My question is: is the $300 difference worth it? Will the better SSD and processor make up for the RAM I couldn't get? I mean, I was going to get 16 GB to "future-proof" the Mac.

I'm a student, so I'd use it for basic stuff such as web browsing, watching movies and doing college work (mainly Office stuff).

Thank you very much and sorry for my english :eek:

I would call the stores and ask them what they have. Many times they have "ultimate" configurations in the store. When I got my macbook air a few years ago in the store I got an "ultimate" configuration.

Also how does apple control that only "canadians" can order online? Could you not just order online to pick up at a store?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Call a couple of apple stores, some may actually carry the 16GB model. Short of that, I'd recommend the 2.4 unless you really do need more then 256GB storage.

One final thought, how much are you saving and is it worth cutting corners with the configuration. It may be better in the long run to buy it in your home country and get the configuration you really do need.

rk249

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2014
Go to the Apple store buy an Apple store gift card and then use it to buy the rMBP config you want online. Thats what I'm doing when I visit the US next week.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Call a couple of apple stores, some may actually carry the 16GB model. Short of that, I'd recommend the 2.4 unless you really do need more then 256GB storage.

One final thought, how much are you saving and is it worth cutting corners with the configuration. It may be better in the long run to buy it in your home country and get the configuration you really do need.

i would definitely call some apple stores near by. there is a good chance one will have one.

unfortunately in Canada apple stores are not everywhere.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
i would definitely call some apple stores near by. there is a good chance one will have one.

unfortunately in Canada apple stores are not everywhere.

Perhaps not, but look for apple authorized dealers as well, the OP shouldn't limit himself to one retail channel when its possible to get what he wants from a big box store

hcemin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
I would call the stores and ask them what they have. Many times they have "ultimate" configurations in the store. When I got my macbook air a few years ago in the store I got an "ultimate" configuration.

Also how does apple control that only "canadians" can order online? Could you not just order online to pick up at a store?

As far as I know, you can't order online with an international credit card, you must have a billing and shipping canadian address.

That's not an option since the 2.4/16/256 config costs around $3000 here.

Go to the Apple store buy an Apple store gift card and then use it to buy the rMBP config you want online. Thats what I'm doing when I visit the US next week.

I read that this method doesn't work anymore, do you know something about it?

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
As far as I know, you can't order online with an international credit card, you must have a billing and shipping canadian address.

Could you buy an apple store gift card in your country then use it to pay?

rk249

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2014
I read that this method doesn't work anymore, do you know something about it?

What do you mean this method doesn't work anymore?

Apple store gift cards can be used to purchase items from the online store. There's an option to choose the mode of payment, thats where you select gift card. You can get it shipped to where you're staying or even just ship it to the store closest to you.

You'll have to elaborate more on why this method doesn't work.

hcemin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
What do you mean this method doesn't work anymore?

Apple store gift cards can be used to purchase items from the online store. There's an option to choose the mode of payment, thats where you select gift card. You can get it shipped to where you're staying or even just ship it to the store closest to you.

You'll have to elaborate more on why this method doesn't work.

I read that you must have a canadian billing address to buy the gift cards too.

So I called Future Shop and they said I can get the 16gb RAM there and it would take 2 to 4 weeks.
But the price is very different from Apple - $1749 vs $1936 - and I'm not sure why. Maybe taxes or something different in the config?

rk249

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2014
I read that you must have a canadian billing address to buy the gift cards too.

So I called Future Shop and they said I can get the 16gb RAM there and it would take 2 to 4 weeks.
But the price is very different from Apple - $1749 vs $1936 - and I'm not sure why. Maybe taxes or something different in the config?

What I meant to say was go to an Apple retail store (brick & mortar) when you get to canada and buy a gift card. Then place an order online for the config you want.

hcemin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
What I meant to say was go to an Apple retail store (brick & mortar) when you get to canada and buy a gift card. Then place an order online for the config you want.

I'll definitely go to the closest store and ask if this is possible, thank you.

You don't really need 16 gigs of RAM for what you do...

I'm sure I don't need it right now, but who knows what will happen a year or two down the road

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.