Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
I have recently noticed that when I grip gently near the centre of the screen, my iPad2 makes a clicking or creaking noise as I release my grip. It sounds as if the internal layers are no longer adhering together properly. The sound only occurs in the centre and bottom thirds of the screen - the top is fine.

In addition to the clicking noise, I get the distorted colours around the fingertips that you get when an LCD screen is compressed.

I was wondering if this behaviour is normal and if I have just failed to notice it in the past or if I have failing adhesive or a bulging battery.

In your opinion, since this iPad2 is no longer under AppleCare, is it something I should get repaired or ignore?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Yes, it does appear that the adhesive holding the glass in place is failing. The distortion could be from the adhesive issue as well. You may want to check and see if an iPad repair shop in your area can service that for you because the only other option is for Apple to fix it and because they have been discontinued it may not be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.