Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realitystops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Very North
Have been using my nMP (base model+16gb ram) for a three weeks now driving 30"ACD with Caldigit T3 and am EXTREMELY HAPPY!!!!!!

Printing with Epson 3880 from Aperture (Photoshop 5) external editor is smooth as butter with image quality and management to the highest standard I have ever experienced.

Just wanted to share the joy - after years of waiting!!!!:D:D:D

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Is your computer silent?

Have been using my nMP (base model+16gb ram) for a three weeks now driving 30"ACD with Caldigit T3 and am EXTREMELY HAPPY!!!!!!

Printing with Epson 3880 from Aperture (Photoshop 5) external editor is smooth as butter with image quality and management to the highest standard I have ever experienced.

Just wanted to share the joy - after years of waiting!!!!:D:D:D

"..............

First of all congratulations!!!!!!!
It's good for once to read about someone happy and not about problems.
Then the question I usually ask since my nMP is still many weeks from delivery.
Is your nMP truly silent, not like "those" surprisingly noisy computers some people complained about in other posts in this forum to have received from Apple?
thank you in advance for that info.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Yes, I feel the same way. This has been the best computer, by far, I've ever had. Fastest, silent, small, it just works wonderfully. Due not only to the great hardware, but also Apple has finally been ironing out the OS X Intel bugs to the point where the OS is almost as reliable as Windows.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
WOW! Seriously? You believe this statement? There is no comparison between OSx and Windblows

I remember when I called "Windows" "Windblows."

Then I grew up.

I still prefer OS X over Windows, but I'm not going to call it names like a five year old would.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
That's really cool :)
I'm pleased that you are enjoying it AND posted as such - too many negatives
recently.
I too am over the moon with my own NEW MP 2012 model, all working great
and such a major improvement from my ageing 3,1 !!

( I bet it isn't as quiet as your's though !!)
M.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
WOW! Seriously? You believe this statement? There is no comparison between OSx and Windblows

No, I just said it because it sounded good ... irony aside, daily I spend about 12 hours on both OS X and Windows simultaneously, on many different machines (dual platform programmer). OS X has, in the past, NOWHERE the stability of Windows. Not even close - and I'm not going to argue this point as I have way too much evidence. As I've said though, in the last year they've finally fixed many longstanding bugs (in the USB subsystem for gods sake, just for one example), so the two are much closer.

In usability, it depends. I think OS X is way more usable and awesome than Windows, but I have colleagues who think the opposite. In particular they decry the true fact that OS X mostly sucks when it comes to keyboard navigation.

For programming, .NET spanks Cocoa.

realitystops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Very North
"..............

First of all congratulations!!!!!!!
It's good for once to read about someone happy and not about problems.
Then the question I usually ask since my nMP is still many weeks from delivery.
Is your nMP truly silent, not like "those" surprisingly noisy computers some people complained about in other posts in this forum to have received from Apple?
thank you in advance for that info.

I run the system on my desk in the corner of a quiet room with only the wind and occasional delivery van to disturb the peace.

Yes it is very quiet!!!!!!I quite often create from seven NEF Raw files HD images from a Nikon 800 and have yet to hear the fan spin up in the effort:D:D

The only noise is is detectable because the nMP is in a corner which kind of focuses the sound waves; i should imagine on an open desk layout (off the walls) I would be unable to detect it in normal use at all.

Starting the hard drives is a volcano of noise in comparison (but I like the sound they make) all good. :D:D

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you

I run the system on my desk in the corner of a quiet room with only the wind and occasional delivery van to disturb the peace.

Yes it is very quiet!!!!!!I quite often create from seven NEF Raw files HD images from a Nikon 800 and have yet to hear the fan spin up in the effort:D:D

The only noise is is detectable because the nMP is in a corner which kind of focuses the sound waves; i should imagine on an open desk layout (off the walls) I would be unable to detect it in normal use at all.

Starting the hard drives is a volcano of noise in comparison (but I like the sound they make) all good. :D:D

Glad is is silent.
Hope to receive a silent nMP as yours.
Still have to wait at least 5 weeks...
Thank you for your kind Info!

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
I remember when I called "Windows" "Windblows."

Then I grew up.

I still prefer OS X over Windows, but I'm not going to call it names like a five year old would.

Ah, but you will call me a five year old...pretty cool! :rolleyes:

Opinions!

----------

He also misspelled 'OS X'.

Yes, I did. I have a bad habit of that. My apologies.

----------

3.12 is pretty snappy.

Can I get that on Amazon Prime?:D

----------

All other bashing aside, I'm glad the OP is happy. Mine arrives today, I hope it is silent, has audio after waking, and is everything I paid for (or will be paying for over the next few months) :D:D

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I also recently got my nMP and I'm loving the silence, size, and speed. I had attached a external 2.5-inch drive to transfer files from my old mac and realized that when I unplugged it, the external drive was the only thing making noise in the room!

Also, I didn't realize the Apple stickers would be black instead of white - a nice little touch...

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
What configuration?

I also recently got my nMP and I'm loving the silence, size, and speed. I had attached a external 2.5-inch drive to transfer files from my old mac and realized that when I unplugged it, the external drive was the only thing making noise in the room!

Also, I didn't realize the Apple stickers would be black instead of white - a nice little touch...

May I ask your configuration?
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.