Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Apple TV Air' Concept Imagines a Simple HDMI Dongle

With rumors of a revamped Apple TV circulating over the past few months, German magazine Curved has been exploring some concepts to help get discussion rolling, beginning earlier this month with a new box similar to the current one but with styling similar to Apple's latest iOS devices and with a versatile iPod touch-like remote.

In its latest concept, Curved follows the trend of Google's Chromecast, Roku's Streaming Stick, and Amazon's rumored device to picture the next Apple TV as a simple dongle that plugs into an HDMI port on the back of the user's television set.

"Apple TV Air" concept (bottom) size comparison with current Apple TV and remote (top)
The concept envisions the "Apple TV Air" package containing two similarly sized devices: the dongle with a cap for the HDMI connector and a separate remote offering the same button configuration as on the current Apple TV remote. Both devices would be made of plastic to allow for a Bluetooth wireless connection to control the dongle hidden away behind the television set.

"Apple TV Air" dongle plugged into HDMI port
Apple has been rumored to be exploring a number of enhancements to the Apple TV, including enhanced game support that could see the launch of an App Store for the device. Apple has also been rumored to be looking at integrating AirPort base station functionality for the next Apple TV. Depending on how aggressive Apple wants to be with the new device's capabilities, it may be a stretch for the company to fit all of the necessary components into a dongle, but Curved's concept serves as a good focal point for discussion about directions Apple could take.

Article Link: 'Apple TV Air' Concept Imagines a Simple HDMI Dongle
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Not everything needs the Air moniker or to be smaller. We need a device that has gaming capabilities, controller support, and fast WIFI AC streaming with more content. If Apple has to double the size, so be it!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:06 PM   #3
lewisd25
macrumors 6502

The dongle is too wide and will block other HDMI ports. Fail.
lewisd25 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:06 PM   #4
starflyer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to starflyer
OMG, Apple copying Google.. Blah, blah, blah!!1! Apple can't innovate, doom3d...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:07 PM   #5
pmz
Banned

I would welcome that concept if functionality is not reduced. Clearly you're losing optical audio out, except passed through the TV, among other things (Ethernet, though not critical.)
pmz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:07 PM   #6
dearfriendx
macrumors member

Pretty interesting and logical rumor/concept.

Can't wait for a revamped interface.
I actually liked it prior to the square "channels"
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Lapidus
macrumors regular

Reminds me of..
Lapidus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:08 PM   #8
troop231
macrumors 601

Would actually look more like this, considering power over HDMI hasn't really gotten anywhere.

Thumb resize.
troop231 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:08 PM   #9
KindredMAC
macrumors 6502a

I personally hate dongle form factors. I have a home theatre set up that is already cramped. I could not fit a stick out the back of my A/V Receiver at this time. I can't understand why people use the speakers from their televisions today. The speakers are so weak compared to what you can get with even a cheap 2.1 set up.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

The mockup looks cool for light stuff, but I'd like to see a set top box version that looks like the New Mac Pro design if it needs a fan, but hopefully with a heatsink that attaches right to the case so it doesn't need a fan and then just keep the current design but make it with (Liquid?)metal. That'd be cool.
Z400Racer37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:09 PM   #11
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisd25 View Post
It's a concept. It's never going to happen and look like this.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:09 PM   #12
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

but does Apple want to "Hide" their device?

Normally Apple loves to display their products.
BJMRamage is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:10 PM   #13
gotluck
macrumors 68040

so an apple chromecast?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:10 PM   #14
lewisd25
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
It's a concept. It's never going to happen and look like this.
That's obvious.
lewisd25 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:11 PM   #15
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
I thought the AppleTV is/was already small & light enough. If you want to hide the AppleTV it is trivial to attach a velcro strip and hide it behind the tv, on the back of the TV, under a tv stand, etc...

In fact If Apple wanted to make the size bigger to fit in more horse-power I'd be all for it getting even as big as the original (silver) Apple TV. Really what I'm saying is, that although small can be nice, at the end of the day features, content, and ease of use will be what people will care the most about.
arkmannj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:12 PM   #16
FlyersPh9
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to FlyersPh9 Send a message via Skype™ to FlyersPh9
So you can no longer connect the aTV dongle to an ethernet cable? Hah! Yeah, no thanks.
FlyersPh9 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:12 PM   #17
SuperRob
macrumors regular

Quote:
Not to mention that such an implementation would require MHL. Most people can figure out if they have the right shaped port on their TV, or alternatively, know what HDMI is. Hardly ANYONE knows what MHL is, and not every TV with HDMI supports MHL (in fact, relatively few do).
SuperRob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:14 PM   #18
seamer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkmannj View Post
I thought the AppleTV is/was already small & light enough. If you want to hide the AppleTV it is trivial to attach a velcro strip and hide it behind the tv, on the back of the TV, under a tv stand, etc...
The current aTV wants to be visible for the IR controller.
seamer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:18 PM   #19
anthonylambert
macrumors member

Apple TV already too small...

The Apple TV is already too small. Have you tried stack one with an Airport express. They are too light to stop the cables from lifting the units and stopping them from falling around, usually the floor or down the side of my other units.

Currently it's a case of style over function.

And why do I need an Airport Express they could just add the software to the Apple TV to give it the Airport functionality. Also a few extra Ethernet sockets would be good too.... I wouldn't have to run a mini router then.

Last edited by anthonylambert; Mar 24, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
anthonylambert is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:27 PM   #20
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
How dare a company that isn't Apple make a concept product that's too wide. Silly German überpfail.
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:37 PM   #21
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Someone's gone to the effort of making a too wide dongle and not realise that perhaps if Apple were to make such a thing the remote probably be all touch

D- must try harder.
prowlmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:38 PM   #22
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Remote

I love the current remote made from a machined block of aluminium. It has some weight and it's the proper length for a remote, it feels like quality when you hold it.

The remote from the concept is not only way too short to be comfortable to hold, it looks like a low-cost plastic remote that comes with some no-name, low-quality electronics you can buy on sale at Wal-Mart.

As for the next version of the AppleTV, I wouldn't mind a 33% size increase as long as we get more features. I already have to use an optical-to-analog converter box to plug in my headphones, if the next model is HDMI-only then I won't buy it.
Yvan256 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:48 PM   #23
nohairdave
macrumors newbie

Why?

There's no benefit in miniaturising the ATV to the size of a dongle. Especially when HDMI doesn't provide power. So, why would Apple do it? Surely they want their stuff to be designed, visible and oooodled over.
nohairdave is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:52 PM   #24
ikir
macrumors 6502a

No
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:53 PM   #25
rdas7
macrumors regular

Hey let's draw pictures of products instead of actually making them!

Ok congratulations for being able to use a 3D program. Unfortunately you failed to understand a thing about the product you were modeling.

"At CURVED/labs we are one step ahead" : Thanks for highlighting your technical prowess by stating it'd be made out of plastic and have bluetooth "to allow for a Bluetooth wireless connection to control the dongle hidden away behind the television set", but forgetting to add to your pictures how your innovative design would be powered. Maybe there should be a caption "Wireless power solution goes here ->"?

Pretty sure that anything Apple release will look 0% like anything you've suggested. But thanks for contributing to the discussion!
rdas7 is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion