Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Hi,
I recently purchased a used late-2009 macbook for my parents. I upgraded to mavericks (and to 4gb memory) and have been using it at my house with no issue on my wireless network for weeks.

Now at my parents house they are unable to connect to their wireless network. Their network is without a password (don't get on me for that - different topic i know). So all that should be needed is clicking on the network name, but when doing that it simply says "unable to connect to network".

Additionally my dad took it to his office and tried to connect to their wireless network and it does the same thing (you can see the SSID's but it won't connect) - he even had their network admin take a look to make sure he was doing it correctly (granted they are a Windows IT shop).

So any ideas? my last suggestion was for him to reset PRAM.

I have no idea why it works fine with my network (Cisco E4200 router) but now there seems to be two other networks/routers that it can see but simply won't connect to.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Hi,
I recently purchased a used late-2009 macbook for my parents. I upgraded to mavericks (and to 4gb memory) and have been using it at my house with no issue on my wireless network for weeks.

Now at my parents house they are unable to connect to their wireless network. Their network is without a password (don't get on me for that - different topic i know). So all that should be needed is clicking on the network name, but when doing that it simply says "unable to connect to network".

Additionally my dad took it to his office and tried to connect to their wireless network and it does the same thing (you can see the SSID's but it won't connect) - he even had their network admin take a look to make sure he was doing it correctly (granted they are a Windows IT shop).

I bet they both had MAC Address filtering on them.

So any ideas? my last suggestion was for him to reset PRAM.

I have no idea why it works fine with my network (Cisco E4200 router) but now there seems to be two other networks/routers that it can see but simply won't connect to.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
The one at their house doesn't have Mac filtering on because I've connected numerous other devices without having to add the Mac.

The one at his work did have Mac filtering on but they added the Mac and it still didn't work.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
The one at their house doesn't have Mac filtering on because I've connected numerous other devices without having to add the Mac.

The one at his work did have Mac filtering on but they added the Mac and it still didn't work.

Open System Preferences->Network Pane, Advanced button. There delete any previous connections and then save everything when backing out. Then try the connections again.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Open System Preferences->Network Pane, Advanced button. There delete any previous connections and then save everything when backing out. Then try the connections again.

This seems to have worked...Any explanation as to why this caused an issue?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
This seems to have worked...Any explanation as to why this caused an issue?

Sometimes Network Caches can get messed up going from one wireless to another to yet another in a short time. So just keep that Network Cache cleaning trick handy. This seems to happen a lot since wireless N came into Airport cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.