Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jallred350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
I have a couple of smart playlists that are set up to randomly select songs. My question is: does iTunes re-sample automatically every so often or do I have to go in and do something to make it choose a new random sample?

The way I have it set up, iTunes has not re-sampled yet and it has been 2 days. Do I need to do something else?

Thanks.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
jallred350 said:
The way I have it set up, iTunes has not re-sampled yet and it has been 2 days. Do I need to do something else?
Smart Playlists are only updated when you sync with iTunes. Didn't always used to be that way. :(

B

jallred350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Thanks

balamw said:
Smart Playlists are only updated when you sync with iTunes. Didn't always used to be that way. :(

B

Ahh, thanks. I guess I'm just not patient enough and would have seen this had I just waited until I synced. :rolleyes:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You can delete all the songs in the playlist and iTunes will re-populate the list with new random songs.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
jallred350 said:
I have a couple of smart playlists that are set up to randomly select songs. My question is: does iTunes re-sample automatically every so often or do I have to go in and do something to make it choose a new random sample?

Thanks.

It's always worth adding another criteria to these sort of smart playlists. Something along the lines of 'Last Played is not in the last 1 day'. This will udpate the playlist by replacing each song played with a new one.

Jx

jallred350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Still not re-sampling...

I must have something wrong with this. The smart playlist with randomly selected songs has stayed the same the last 4 times I've synced. Do I need to do something else to make this playlist re-randomize every so often?

jallred350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Bumpitybumpbumpbump...

jallred350 said:
I must have something wrong with this. The smart playlist with randomly selected songs has stayed the same the last 4 times I've synced. Do I need to do something else to make this playlist re-randomize every so often?

Anyone?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
jallred350 said:
Is the "Live updating" Box checked? (Under Edit Smart Playlist).

Or, add a new condition in the SPL for last played is not in the last day/week/month/year as previously suggested.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.