Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:39 AM   #1
jallred350
macrumors newbie

Smart Playlist Question - Random feature

I have a couple of smart playlists that are set up to randomly select songs. My question is: does iTunes re-sample automatically every so often or do I have to go in and do something to make it choose a new random sample?

The way I have it set up, iTunes has not re-sampled yet and it has been 2 days. Do I need to do something else?

Thanks.
jallred350 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:50 AM   #2
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallred350
The way I have it set up, iTunes has not re-sampled yet and it has been 2 days. Do I need to do something else?
Smart Playlists are only updated when you sync with iTunes. Didn't always used to be that way.

B
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:52 AM   #3
jallred350
macrumors newbie

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw
Smart Playlists are only updated when you sync with iTunes. Didn't always used to be that way.

B
Ahh, thanks. I guess I'm just not patient enough and would have seen this had I just waited until I synced.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Lacero
macrumors 601

You can delete all the songs in the playlist and iTunes will re-populate the list with new random songs.
Here's to the Crazy Ones
Lacero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:00 AM   #5
jMc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have a couple of smart playlists that are set up to randomly select songs. My question is: does iTunes re-sample automatically every so often or do I have to go in and do something to make it choose a new random sample?

Thanks.
It's always worth adding another criteria to these sort of smart playlists. Something along the lines of 'Last Played is not in the last 1 day'. This will udpate the playlist by replacing each song played with a new one.

Jx
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:33 PM   #6
jallred350
macrumors newbie

Still not re-sampling...

I must have something wrong with this. The smart playlist with randomly selected songs has stayed the same the last 4 times I've synced. Do I need to do something else to make this playlist re-randomize every so often?
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:58 AM   #7
jallred350
macrumors newbie

Bumpitybumpbumpbump...

Quote:
I must have something wrong with this. The smart playlist with randomly selected songs has stayed the same the last 4 times I've synced. Do I need to do something else to make this playlist re-randomize every so often?
Anyone?
Old Jan 20, 2006, 12:52 PM   #8
balamw

Quote:
Anyone?
Is the "Live updating" Box checked? (Under Edit Smart Playlist).

Or, add a new condition in the SPL for last played is not in the last day/week/month/year as previously suggested.

B

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod