Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A supposed internal Apple video depicting the demolition of Hewlett Packard's former offices in preparation for Apple's Campus 2 project has surfaced on YouTube (via 9to5Mac).

The video itself, which appears to be consistent with Apple's production quality, shows excavators tearing through multiple buildings. The footage was likely shot from late last year through earlier this year, as demolition on the site began in November after Apple received unanimous approval for the project from the Cupertino City Council.

Substantial progress of the demolition was also depicted through an aerial photograph that surfaced late last month, with most of the existing buildings demolished and parking lot pavement removed. During the demolition, several sidewalks were closed, while bulldozers and other heavy equipment started clearing debris from the 176-acre parcel.

With the demolition likely complete, Apple will begin the first phase of the Apple Campus 2 construction, which will involve a 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped main building with an underground parking facility capable of holding approximately 2,400 cars. Apple will also build a 100,000 square foot fitness center and a 120,000 square foot auditorium, with some of the barren landscape being occupied by over 4,500 trees.

Update 2:15 PM: The video has been removed from YouTube at Apple's request.

Update: The video has been reuploaded to Vimeo by another user.

Article Link: Video Depicting Demolition Progress at Apple Campus 2 Site Surfaces [Updated]

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Quite a plausible mock-up. If Apple does build at that location as rumored, I think they will do something very much like this video. Kudos.

RIZZO124

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2013
As an electrical engineer who worked in the field in the 80s it is incredibly ironic that Apple tears down an HP office building. Years ago things were reversed and HP was the giant and Apple the fledging startup. HP used to be THE Cadillac of engineering companies in the US and now they're hanging on by the skin of their teeth. How times have changed indeed.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I'll have to drive by the construction site and see how many people are already waiting in line for the grand opening.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
As an electrical engineer who worked in the field in the 80s it is incredibly ironic that Apple tears down an HP office building. Years ago things were reversed and HP was the giant and Apple the fledging startup. HP used to be THE Cadillac of engineering companies in the US and now they're hanging on by the skin of their teeth. How times have changed indeed.

And they will change again.

Remember when Motorola were the world biggest mobile company? Then Nokia?

Remember when the Sega dreamcast was the worlds top selling games console before the ps2 was released?

Remember when TDK were the worlds leading storage media manufacturer?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Was Miley helping whit the demolition? Anyone ? No okay,.

I did not see a wrecking ball swinging with a naked girl on it. Sorry.

----------

Is this real? In the video I noticed the apple logo on the door of the building being destroyed. The article says that the building that was removed to make way for the spaceship was the old HP building. So why would an hp building about to be destroyed have a apple logo on it?

Last edited:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

So true. One co-worker quoted this the best, "HP is a hardware company that was pulled kicking and screaming into to the '80s and software-centric design."

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
In two shots the excavators posed like a couple of T-Rexes presiding over a carcass. Very clever imagery.

I wonder. Is this Tim's darker side coming out? :D

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

I believe that there is even more irony in that Steve Jobs reached out to one of the founders of HP at his home as a teenager, and got some mentoring from him.

If Jobs were alive today I wonder if he would have expressed some bittersweet feelings about that demolition.

----------

Is this real? In the video I noticed the apple logo on the door of the building being destroyed. The article says that the building that was removed to make way for the spaceship was the old HP building. So why would an hp building about to be destroyed have a apple logo on it?

Umm, because Apple has owned the buildings for 4 years...?

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I think I worked in that building...

I worked for HP long ago. I wasn't based in Cupertino, but I made several trips to there.

Fortunately, I read the writing on the wall, and left about a year before my organization was liquidated. Only about a half-dozen were offered jobs elsewhere.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Lots of stuff to dispose of. Where?

Much of it is recycled or repurposed. Concrete is pulverized and used for bricks, stones, and paving mixtures. Steel is melted and reformed as new. Even the interior drywall is reused to make paper products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.