Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:15 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Begins Testing Related Search Suggestions Feature on App Store

As first spotted by TIME Planner developer Olga Osadcha on Twitter (via MacStories), Apple has begun testing a related search suggestions feature for some users in the App Store.

The new menu appears to overlay itself on top of an existing search query, giving users search suggestions in similar categories - for instance, searching for "calendar" gives related suggestions for "calendar planner" and "daily planner", while a search for "sports games" displays suggestions to "action games" and "RPG games".

The suggestions box also appears to extend to some searches for specific terms, as searching for "twitter" will result in suggestions for "news apps" and the like. Suggested searches can also lead to more sub-suggested keywords, which can be made up of general phrases and specific company and product names.

The results appear in a similar fashion to queries in Chomp, which was an app search startup acquired by Apple in 2012. It is therefore likely that Apple could be using some of the suggestion technology utilized in Chomp, as Apple's reported reason for acquiring the search engine was to improve the App Store search and app discovery. Apple added the single-tile styled result to the App Store in 2012, which was also based off of Chomp's layout.

Currently, Apple's new App Store search suggestions are not appearing for all users, however that is likely to change as the feature undergoes more testing. It is also possible that the new search suggestions will not require a full update for iOS, as Apple is expected to roll out the new feature on top of the App Store's existing interface.

Article Link: Apple Begins Testing Related Search Suggestions Feature on App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:23 AM   #2
TechGod
macrumors 68020

That's cool. Like Play stores similar apps feature?
TechGod is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:26 AM   #3
dragje
macrumors 6502a

This is a cool thing indeed. Suggestions in this matter is a good thing, especially considering the amount of apps where you can get lost when searching for some helpful app.
dragje is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:37 AM   #4
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

Good idea.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:47 AM   #5
samonaz
macrumors member

Apple has to do a lot more to improve the App Store App Discovery..
Old Mar 25, 2014, 03:07 AM   #6
cowbellallen
macrumors regular

This makes me realize just how crappy the App Store is. Even more shocking is that we haven't had this for the past 3 years.

The App Store has to be one of the worst designed products Apple has ever offered.
cowbellallen is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:26 AM   #7
Broph
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbellallen View Post
This makes me realize just how crappy the App Store is. Even more shocking is that we haven't had this for the past 3 years.

The App Store has to be one of the worst designed products Apple has ever offered.
I think it definitely went a step backward when they changed it so that you can only see one result per page for an app. I see no benefit at all.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:29 AM   #8
MarkieMark92
macrumors member

Sounds a great idea

It sounds like a really great idea and didn't realise it was missing being honest. It will be good because if you don't know the name of the app then you will be able to type what sort of app it is and get a result.
MarkieMark92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 05:05 AM   #9
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by samonaz View Post
Truth!

They can start by removing the repetitive "top grossing apps" and adding back "new apps" for all categories not just games.

TouchMint.com is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 05:08 AM   #10
wikiverse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbellallen View Post

Really? Worse than .mac, pippin, Newton, g4 cube, hockey puck mouse, mobile me, ping, iTunes, OSX 1.0, and iWeb?
wikiverse is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:43 AM   #11
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Well luckly they have more then one person I do it. I think apple should work on app discovery. There is over a million apps for me to download I can imagine I'm missing out on some if would really like.
The Doctor11 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:53 AM   #12
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

The future:

Last edited by AngerDanger; Mar 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: THE FUTURE
AngerDanger is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:09 AM   #13
Parasprite
macrumors 68000

Working for me here.

...pretty unremarkable.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:42 AM   #14
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

This looks like a company with no expertise in search related queries overhauling their search related queries.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:51 AM   #15
numlock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiverse View Post
Really? Worse than .mac, pippin, Newton, g4 cube, hockey puck mouse, mobile me, ping, iTunes, OSX 1.0, and iWeb?
its certainly up there.

i know the poster didnt say that but most of what you mention wasnt the only method of doing the task in question. with app store its only this pathetic search and interface which is a serious downgrade on the previous implementation.

btw was the pippin a bad product?

Last edited by numlock; Mar 25, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
numlock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:34 AM   #16
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

I love the comments calling the App store crappy, and one of Apple's worst products. Yeah, that must be why only Apple still uses one these days. Who would copy such a terrible product?
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:51 AM   #17
typeadam
macrumors Demi-God

Saw it this morning and at first I thought it was an error in the app... Could be pretty useful. Maybe.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:58 AM   #18
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

This is actually great innovation to the overall App Store experience and nobody should be devaluing these ongoing efforts that will keep Apple on top of the world.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:07 AM   #19
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
This is actually great innovation to the overall App Store experience and nobody should be devaluing these ongoing efforts that will keep Apple on top of the world.
Hi Tim.
Bubba Satori is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:30 AM   #20
SeenJeen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broph View Post
I think it definitely went a step backward when they changed it so that you can only see one result per page for an app. I see no benefit at all.
The benefit is, you get to see what the App does (with a snapshot of the App) before even having to tap on it.

The old way was just App icon and App name. If you didn't know what the App did based on that, you'd have to tap on the App page, wait for the description and content to load, and if you didn't like it, tap back, and sometimes lose your place in your search. Very inefficient.

I think the new way is better than the old way. It's not fantastic by any means, but it's still better.

People are just crying about change because it's not what they're used to.
SeenJeen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:32 AM   #21
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Hi Tim.
Bubba, that's not Tim. After a thorough investigation it has been determined that poster is not human. It's a bot, stocked with random saccharine quotes that are intermittently dispersed over MR boards. Don't believe me, check the message history. I got a cavity just reading through it.

On topic: With the number of apps in the app store, this can only help navigate the store better. As more apps are added, the help will only become more apparent. This is definitely a "better late than never" scenario.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:38 AM   #22
ds2000
macrumors regular

I wonder if a big paying app developer can get more recommendations......?
ds2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:41 AM   #23
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
They need to prune apps which don't sell and put them into A B C categories

Google would still discover them , say if they would be highly specialized.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:43 AM   #24
ZOZO139434371
Banned

Quote:
The funny thing is that almost all of those happened under Steve Jobs. I suppose we're just lucky that the hockey puck mouse wasn't bad enough to hurt iMac sales, or who knows what would have happened to Apple.
ZOZO139434371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:01 AM   #25
attila
macrumors 6502

And maybe put this in the already existing "Related" section of an app that does not show related items but only other apps by the same developer.

----------

Quote:
Hey, there was no iPod without iTunes, and the G4 Cube was freaking awesome!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion